//ArrowChat Code

Thread: CDI Problem? No start or spark. Can anyone solve this?

--

CDI Problem? No start or spark. Can anyone solve this?

Hey guys, first time posting here so please bear with me.
    I may have made a giant mistake.
    My 85 250sx has been running great. It sat for a month and today it would only crank but not fire. Found out I'm not getting any spark. In the midst of jiggling my starter solonoid to try cranking again, I accidentally touched two loose wires together (no idea what they are for, white wires with inserts on the ends, hanging just forward of the starter solonoid) and they sparked then something clicked, and now my bike has no power to the ignition. So on top of not getting spark and killing something important, I'm now getting lost in youtube videos about CDI boxes and ohms. PLEASE HELP

--
    You could try checking the main fuse right off of the battery. Then, why were you wiggling the solenoid to try the starter? If you have to do that in order for the starter to work, check for loose connections. If that's not the issue, then maybe your solenoid is bad. It's possible that your no start issue came from the pilot jet in your carb being clogged. With today's gas, sometimes it doesn't take very long for that to happen.

--
    My battery is currently bunjeed in and I haven't seen a fuse on the mounting bracket. What does this "main" fuse look like? I haven't been able to find any youtube videos on it and google keeps pulling up atv threads. There is a rubber deal that hangs between the battery box and the taillight with wires going in and out of it. Is this maybe it?

I apologize, I'm just now realizing what a hackjob this thing is turning out to be. I had one when i was a kid and just recently acquired this one for nostalgic reasons. It is not in as good of shape as I originally thought.

--
    And i was wiggling the solonoid to try and get it to crank again. There's something funny going on with the wiring there. I installed brand new solonoid and it worked great for about 6 weeks, then started acting funny periodically.

--
    New carb and jetting is definitely on my to do list. It has been running great up until now, but still not sure of its jetted for 5300' elevation.

--
    Since the fuse was missing on my 85 250SX, I don't remember exactly where it should be. Going off of the diagram on Partzilla, I think it's in a wire that comes off of the the positive battery cable at the solenoid end. I put a universal inline fuse holder there on mine. I think you're in the right area when you talk about a rubber deal hanging back by the battery. New, cheap parts are usually Chinese and are hit and miss at best on quality. I tried a new starter solenoid on mine and it cost me a starter when it stuck in the "on" position after starting the engine. I rode for at least 10 minutes with the starter engaged before I heard it. New carbs aren't any better than electrical parts. Some people will buy a new Chinese carb and put all of the internals from their old, OEM carb inside of it. That seems to be the best bet on Chinese carbs. As for me, I stay away from them. I like to say that OEM isn't expensive, it's just worth it. It sounds, to me, like you need to buy or download a service manual for your SX. It will have wiring schematics to help you get your wiring straightened out.

--
    My starter solonoid did the same thing about a week after replacing it. My buddy was riding it so I have no idea how long it was grinding before i got it shut off. And I'll get a manual downloaded asap. Where are you finding these new oem parts? Particularly this mystery fuse? I'm reluctant to buy used ones off ebay, but maybe thats my only option? Thanks for the response

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Check out Harvey Spooner on YouTube. He is very knowledgeable about these bikes and does some pretty good explanations on how the electrical system works.
    Take care
    207wheelin

--
    Some OEM parts that I use aren't new such as carbs. I usually buy new OEM parts from Partzilla. The fuse is still available and costs $.96 on Partzilla. It looks like a plain glass tube fuse and may be available at an auto parts store. It may cost more, but there won't be any shipping. On mine, I used a spade type fuse and holder. It works just fine.

--
    Thanks for that man. I was watching a bunch of his videos the other day. Once I replace the mystery fuse; if the cdi turns out to be bad I'm going to do the Pit Bike CDI harness swap that he talked about.

--
    Thank you!!! Now I'm gonna check partzilla and see if my local autozone has one before I order. Huge help

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagg21 View Post
    Thank you!!! Now I'm gonna check partzilla and see if my local autozone has one before I order. Huge help
    I'm not sure that Auto Zone would have glass tube fuses on hand. I think that you'd have better luck trying a NAPA store or another, small (not big chain type) of store.

--
    There is a napa a little ways from me so I'll check there thanks man

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //