//ArrowChat Code

Thread: AZ Man Saved by Honda ATCs

--

Lightbulb AZ Man Saved by Honda ATCs

We have had a hard year of loss in our family unrelated to COVID. We carried forward by continuing the family Honda tradition albeit not our typical Machines. I have never had a motorcycle or a motor anything but a car so we got a couple of Honda trikes. This would allow me and my son to work on something technical together, while grieving, and learning- trifecta!

Honda runs in our blood from the beginning of my time driving; 83 Prelude, 89 Legend, 91 Integra GSR, 98 Passport(Isuzu Rodeo Rebadge), 06 Ridgeline, 07 CR-V, 11 Fit Sport, 11 CR-Z, 15 CR-Z, 16 Pilot Elite. My family doesn’t hold the Passport against me. My whole life I worked on Hondas and power equipment, so I am familiar with small quality engines. I have only spent a few days at Glamis on a Predator so my exposure is limited.

Recently a friend had an 84 125M and an 85 250SX that he wanted to part with at a VERY reasonable cost. I trailered them home and we got to work; Oil 20w-40 Lucas, fuel hoses, new batteries, carburetors received new jets and new floats and all cleaned out. Tanks got a brief wet cleaning and the 125 had a “Kreamed” the tank that is failing at the top of the tank so I just put in really good filters ahead of the petcock.

We cleaned them up a bit and then we fired them up, dialed in the carbs based on the included mint condition maintenance manuals. The 250 is pretty stout and really goes. The 125 is suffering from a broken Shift stopper boss so I took it to my fabrication shop to have it improved. The plan for weeks end is to initiate the Bonded Title Process here in AZ and ANY advise is welcome.

So it’s all going well and much of that is because of the support I have received here on the forum! I studied for over 3 weeks and feeling good about my knowledge thus far but I have a lot to learn. My fabricator has a guy on hand that restores 350x and has not several but many several in incredible condition. This is the guy who will be overseeing the 125 repair so I am confident it will be done right. I could not have gotten it right without you all so thanks, and it’s good to be here among common minded folks who like well built machines. I realize Honda was not the only brand but they did hold the market for these.

Anyhow thanks for your support! These bikes may not have saved a life but it may feel that way once they are registered and on the trail!
    Last edited by HondaPilot; 12-01-2020 at 11:22 AM.

--
    Very sorry for your loss. Makes sense to find a project or new interest to keep your mind occupied. Sounds like you found two great machines for you and your son.
    If you know how to add pictures to your thread it would be great to see the initial finds, and then the progress you make getting them trail ready.

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Sorry to hear about your loss. This year has been very difficult for a lot of people. Enjoy this time with your son and when you get these machines done get out and ride your troubles away. I have found that fixing and riding these machines makes people smile.
    Take care
    207wheelin

--
    Thank you for the condolences, and support. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48A7C9BF-86E2-44A4-8B54-89DFA80978CE.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	265413 This was the condition of the bikes when I brought them home a few weeks ago. My Daughter immediately found her favorite and jumped right on the 125. I’ll post more images as I have them pulled together.

--
    Looks like great machines to fine tune and get back into action!

--
    I put a few videos of our progress together for fun and for reference. https://youtu.be/wXSKvLcdkRA Really getting these going! Thank you again!

--
    I had to laugh a little bit. You said "mom's got it all figured out" and then it looked she hit the nitrous. All kidding aside, those look like a couple of pretty nice machines.

--
    Drunk golf carting and Whip Boy; a winning combination.

On the family loss stuff, I've been experiencing that since my teen years, and it seems like much too often. I was a pallbearer for a couple of my young cousins and numerous other family. My mother is my only parent now and all of my grandparents are gone and I'm decades from retirement age. Several aunts, uncles, and extended family are gone. Every one of them is tough and it never really gets easier. My father was the worst for me, because he was a healthy, active man, but dementia took his mind at an early age. That is a horrible thing to watch someone go through. It never gets easier, but they all live on in our dedication to persevere. We carry the flame.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Ya dementia or alzenheimers are horrific on those affected and the ones that love them, lost my Mom to Alz. Had to tell the hospital to stop any efforts to treat a septic infection She came down with per Her DNR. Worst call of my life........Only thing I can do is look forward to seeing her again, Lord willing.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //