//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Restoring OEM Tires? Removing paint from tires?

--

Restoring OEM Tires? Removing paint from tires?

Hey I'm fairly new here and there are a lot of critics on facebook so maybe y'all can be of some assistance.
    I have a pretty decent set of OEM OTSHU tires for my ATC70 that I'd like to restore/refurbish.
    There is no cracking or weathering at all but one has what looks like paint or stain splattered on it and I cant get it off.
    The others along with the stained one are maybe mud stained or faded a little and I'd like to return them all to a nice rich black.

Any ideas on what a guy could do or has anyone had to clean paint or stain off a tire before?

TIA
    Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g.jpg  

--
    Start by scrubbing with a rag soaked in gasoline (in a well ventilated area away from open flames).
    Be prepared to spend some time on this project and please report back with progress.
    Good luck!

--
    You could also try Wesleys Bleach White. It was made for cleaning/bleaching tires. It may not cut the paint or stain, but will definately help give the rubber a deeper black appearance.

--

PLUS

The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I remember some of the car guys painting their slicks with brake fluid between rounds to try and get a few more passes out of them. Given that brake fluid is your paint jobs worst enemy it might be worth testing some on a spot to see what happens.

Back when white letters on tires were cool I would use an SOS pad (steel wool impregnated with something like Comet soap) to clean my tires, worked great.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I tried restoring some from a motorcycle once, all it did was make me two tired.........
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    I tried restoring some from a motorcycle once, all it did was make me two tired.........
    Confucius says,
    Man run in front of car gets tired
    Runs behind car he gets exhausted

--
    Thanks for the replies all!

So I tried the baking soda lemon juice method first. That did absolutely nothing!
    Next I tried vegetable oil soak... that worked to bring the tires back to a richer black which I was also trying to do in the process of removing this paint but it did nothing to the paint/stain.
    Finally I gobbed some paint stripper on there. Now its interesting to me because everything I've ever put this NON-Methylene Chloride paint striper on its done absolutely nothing to. It never works for anything because the Methylene Chloride is what takes the paint off. Now the s#it they sell is just smelly goo that frustrates the user because it doesn't strip paint. Anyway, the paint stripper worked. With some scrubbing and patience, I was able to remove 90% of this paint stain with the Kleen Strip non Methylene Chloride paint stripper.
    Since They have taken the MC out of the paint stripper this is the first time its ever worked for anything for me.

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully this can help someone in the future because everything I found on the web (baking soda, veg oil, etc) didn't do a damn thing for me.
    I would like to stress the fact that the Veg Oil did bring the black back! Like a lot of tires they were almost grey looking and looked perpetually dirty. With some dish soap a scrub and then a coating of vegetable oil they look 30 years younger. (not perfect but much better than before.
    little tip for anyone else trying to freshen up some old tires.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I'm glad our knowledgeable members could roll out some good suggestions to help you out and prevent this thread from going flat.

I just wanted to wheel in and get on a roll myself. Hopefully I didn't hit a bad cord with my lame jokes. If I've offended anyone let me know and we'll figure out how to patch things up.

t-dog, good to see you're still stopping by, same with you El!
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    If I've offended anyone let me know and we'll figure out how to patch things up.
    You haven't yet but you are treading awfully close. Discussion had some traction but you steered us off course.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //