//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '97 TRX200D Type II

--

'97 TRX200D Type II

Buddy of mine has been running this machine for several years with no issues ...and then it quit. LOL

I've managed to (barely) get it to start a few times but it quits no sooner than it starts.
    I'm getting intermittent fire. Replaced with a known good coil. New plug. It'll fire ...sometimes. I cannot for the LIFE of me get someone to sell a CDI that actually works. All 2+4 pin CDI's are not swappable but you can't seem to convince online sellers....I've tried three different places that guarantee it'll work for this machine. They are all wrong. When you plug it up the reverse light immediately comes on. ...no, that's not right.

I replaced the carburetor for sheets and giggles...nada.

It's never been hacked or bubba'd....all nice factory everything except the ignition switch, which was replaced several months before it quit. Every function on the machine works and did BEFORE, so I doubt it's the culprit.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks as always.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    How about a picture of that strange beast...

I remember when those were on the sales floor.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Despite it's current state, it's actually a very nice machine.

--
    The weekend BEFORE it quit, this was outrunning me top to bottom; 83 200E w/ 200X topend & 1.5 exhaust. I could stay on his heels through 2nd but halfway through 3rd he was pulling away.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    How about a picture of that strange beast...

I remember when those were on the sales floor.
    Yeah, I'm just not digging that caboose thing.

--
    It's worth mentioning the last CDI I ordered actually did make a spark but leaves the reverse light on all the time. Which, as 'Fixer pointed out to me, is probably just the way the lazy chinese factory has the ground routed inside the box.
    If it were MY machine, I might let it go, but it's not.

Sucks you cannot get good replacement parts without jumping through 10 miles of hoops and red tape.

--
    I always give the clause “no guarantees when dealing with discontinued electrical components “

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It's worth mentioning the last CDI I ordered actually did make a spark but leaves the reverse light on all the time. Which, as 'Fixer pointed out to me, is probably just the way the lazy chinese factory has the ground routed inside the box.
    If it were MY machine, I might let it go, but it's not.

Sucks you cannot get good replacement parts without jumping through 10 miles of hoops and red tape.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If it's running with that CDI, but the reverse light is on, maybe you can get around it by installing a LED bulb in the reverse light or a diode in the circuit.

That would solve a power feedback issue, if that's all it is.

It's kind of the same idea on motorcycles that only have one turn signal indicator on the dash. If LED bulbs are used in the signals, sometimes they'll stay on because the regular bulbs lets power go both ways. Other times the dash bulb won't work right and a diode has to be used. Either way, when there's a feedback issue in the system, a diode or LED bulb may fix it. A LED is a diode, it just depends on how everything is wired and which way the diode can/needs to flow to solve the issue.

Many motorcycles with neutral/kickstand starter interrupt systems have at least one diode in the system to make everything work, otherwise there'd be feedback in the system. You may want to check the wiring on that ATV for something similar. Make sure that didn't go out.

--
    I got it to spark...It never actually RAN. The time or three it's actually tried to start, it just shuts back down. I've gone through every connection involved and will do it again. A wet plug on an engine that is mechanically means crap spark or ??? I even pulled the exhaust looking for an obstruction. Not that.

--
    A fresh spark plug and starting fluid will be easier to diagnose if it’s spark or carburetor .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    A lot of people have done the Chinese CDI dance. Even ones that are reported to work can be hit or miss between shipments.

If you buy from EBay, most sellers are pretty good at quickly refunding a non-functional unit. That's of little consolation though, when you have to wait for the slow shipping this year, then it's a dud.

A lot of people poo-poo on having to dish out the dinero for a OEM CDI, but if one's available, stop the Chinese fire drill and just go with it.

Another option, albeit also relatively expensive, is a programmable aftermarket CDI. They're available for AC and DC systems, but more so for DC. There are several companies that offer them for single cylinder engines; none of them are given away.

A programmable unit on a machine like that is kind of a waste, but if it has a programmable rev limiter, that makes it good for younger or inexperienced riders.

On how that guy ran before the issue, even the new 250cc 2x4 Honda quads are excellent for the money. Way better ride than any of the hardtail trikes and much faster. For most trail riding, they're more than enough machine.

--
    If I can find an OEM one, we'd likely go that route...

BikeBandit has this....but I have to wonder if it's not the same exact chinese junk I've already tried...just a different color and bigger price.
    https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...15211?m=151536

--
    Definelty buy an oem if u can, that trx200d is the same or very close engine design as the trx200sx reverse light/switch and wiring. You can easily find used oem. Not as cheap as Chinese junk though. That topend is the same as 86-87 200x and fatcat too, just a couple very small changes.
    A 86-88 trx200sx cdi is your best chance i'd think.edit: Or a used trx200d one.

shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 12-12-2020 at 12:19 PM.

--
    Got the CDI from Ricks. It was firing...for a few seconds. Engine started and bam, shut back down. Nothing now. Ran for all of 3 seconds.
    I've pull the rear plastics for easier access to the harness. Regulator checks within spec. Coil works on another machine.
    Neutral and reverse switches are functioning properly. With the plug out (so it's easier to turn over) the CDI is getting about 50 some odd volts AC while the starter is turning. I don't know how much it should be putting out. A bad stator would explain everything.

I hate wiring/electrical issues.

The guy that owns the machine has written it off for junk and has set out to buy something else. In his disgust....he gave me this one. Now I can pull things apart with impunity.

--
    Well, I found the problem. I just don't know how to fix it yet.
    The reverse lockout switch applies ground to the harness to keep you from starting in reverse. ..problem is, I'm still getting ground when it's unplugged at the pigtail. Somewhere there's some kind of short. I can make the engine run by running a jumper from the hot coming into the switch to the "hot when key on" wire at the regulator.
    Engine ran really rough but that could be something totally unrelated.. It ran, and started back on demand.
    I don't like running it with the regulator unplugged and rigged up jumper wire but at least I know something I didn't before.

Here's a little something too....I just went back on a whim and tried the OEM cdi, and it rans smooth as silk. Plugged the Ricks and it is rough as a cobb. Won't rev...the timing is way off on this. I am NOT knocking Ricks at all. They shipped it out fast and friendly but it is not good.

Very thankful to be wrong. Now I have to root through everything and find the ground that's bad. Gonna be fun too, sometimes it's grounded sometimes not. Hopefully a skinned or burned wire somewhere.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 12-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //