//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250sx Left Hand Control Switch

--

250sx Left Hand Control Switch

Hey all, got a really good deal on an ‘86 250sx but the problem is the left hand switch wasn’t original and it’s failing. I bough a replacement switch on eBay (the most common result) but when it came in the mail I can obviously tell it’s some China junk.

Anyone know of a place to get an OEM or better quality switch? eBay doesnt have many oem listings and the few it has are asking outrageous prices for a beat up used one.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Bumping. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    When I built my R, I bought a new oem honda quad switch that I think I paid about $40 shipped for it. It was setup with a start button, which I obviously didn't need, and the switches themselves looked identical in size and color to my oem 86 250R switches. I gut the quad switch and gutted both switch housings and then put the new switches, wires and all into the 86R housing that I cleaned up. I think two wires were different color from the quad switch but once I figured it out, I wired each wire into the correct corresponding position in the plug end and had brand new oem honda switches with my original housing. Been working great for two years.

I think my build thread is called "My 86 ATC250R adventure" or something close to that and it's all documented in there with pics

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I believe the Trx300fw fourtrax switch will work .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    That's exactly what I'd do, use another OEM Honda switch and you may need some help moving a couple wires but it won't be China garbage.

You have to use one with a choke slide in it or eliminate the choke. I run the 350X carb on my SX which has a choke on the carb itself, that solved the hard cold start issue too so it was a win win...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    The problem with using a TRX300 left hand control is the run/stop switch is different than any of the other 3wheeler switches in that the switch is wired differently and its three positions are opposite to the 3wheeler switches. Instead of stop/run/stop its run/stop/run. Right now I'm doing a frame off resto of an 87 ES and his OEM bar control was not pristine or working correctly so the owner sent me a brand new TRX300 bar control. I unwrapped the wire harness and concluded its got a different run/stop switch and it has a different wiring configuration. I removed the run/stop switch from his old bar control and installed it in the new TRX bar control. I also had to rearrange the wiring on a new three pin plug so it matches the ES wiring configuration. As far as the light switches go, both old and new bar controls were wired the same with the same wire color coding. So if you want to do that to yours, you will need a useable stop/run/stop switch from an old bar control, a length a 16G green wire and a three pin plug. The green wire gets soldered to the copper tab that on the outside of the run/stop switch. Eliminate the extra black/white wire on the TRX bar control, and either clip the three pin plug off the old bar control and splice it to the new bar control wire harness. So in the end you will have the run/stop switch with the green wire soldered to the copper tab and the remaining blck/white wire on the center tab and it should be good to go. If you dont have the skills or tools to do that kind of work then send me your old bar control and a new TRX300 bar control and I'll do it up for you.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingw View Post
    The problem with using a TRX300 left hand control is the run/stop switch is different than any of the other 3wheeler switches in that the switch is wired differently and its three positions are opposite to the 3wheeler switches. Instead of stop/run/stop its run/stop/run. Right now I'm doing a frame off resto of an 87 ES and his OEM bar control was not pristine or working correctly so the owner sent me a brand new TRX300 bar control. I unwrapped the wire harness and concluded its got a different run/stop switch and it has a different wiring configuration. I removed the run/stop switch from his old bar control and installed it in the new TRX bar control. I also had to rearrange the wiring on a new three pin plug so it matches the ES wiring configuration. As far as the light switches go, both old and new bar controls were wired the same with the same wire color coding. So if you want to do that to yours, you will need a useable stop/run/stop switch from an old bar control, a length a 16G green wire and a three pin plug. The green wire gets soldered to the copper tab that on the outside of the run/stop switch. Eliminate the extra black/white wire on the TRX bar control, and either clip the three pin plug off the old bar control and splice it to the new bar control wire harness. So in the end you will have the run/stop switch with the green wire soldered to the copper tab and the remaining blck/white wire on the center tab and it should be good to go. If you dont have the skills or tools to do that kind of work then send me your old bar control and a new TRX300 bar control and I'll do it up for you.
    I bought a TRX300 bar control from Honda for my 86 SX, and did what Flyingw has described. I really like the results and the Honda OEM fit and finish. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716210959a~2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	757.2 KB 
ID:	267899
    Feedback thread:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-Daveand78

1985 ATC 200M
    1986 ATC 250SX

1996 Banshee

2001 Kawasaki KMX 125 (import from Thailand)

--
    Awesome Dave. Good job

--
    If I'm looking at the right TRX300 switch it's about 100$!

I still have a few NOS switches I bought years back and I remember the 86/87 200X switch being 58$, wish I bought 100 of em...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //