//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Super Capacitor Battery Booster

--

Super Capacitor Battery Booster

The super capacitor has been installed into my pickup and it's working great.

It was done for smoothing out the electrical system and adding a little boost in cold weather.

First day I gave it whirl, this is what the conditions looked like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstGoodTest.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	265524
    That's ice on the windshield exterior.

The truck has never had a hard time starting, this isn't a Band-Aid, but definitely starts quicker in cold weather now though. Not only does the starter get a boost, but the ignition also has plenty of power.

I can post more detail of the installation, but in short, I bought the smallest project box I could, two of them actually, and cut an opening in one top because it was too short, and bolted another top, on top. I wanted a clear top to see the LEDs, which didn't work out because of the position, but still I wanted the option.

Name:	20201205_101839_HDR.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	265525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201205_115602_HDR.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	265526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201205_120501_HDR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	265527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201206_145011_HDR.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	934.0 KB 
ID:	265528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201208_131324_HDR.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	265529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201208_131335_HDR.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	265530

It's a nice project box, but cream colored, so I painted it black. There's also mounting bosses in the floor of it, but I supported the capacitor module with foam instead. Being plastic, I had to make certain to use custom spacing to mount it to the non-flat area, so it wouldn't twist and the top not fit.

There's more small details I added, like venting.

So far, it's been great. The electrical system is rock steady. When I turn the headlights on, it doesn't even flinch, but all the external lights on the pickup have been converted to LED, including the headlights.

I had tested the near fully charged super capacitor module on my 200ES, without a battery, and it started the trike several times in a row on it's own. This thing packs a punch, and it may be a placebo, but I'd swear the radio in my truck sounds better too (just four 5 1/4 and one 12).
    Last edited by ATC King; 12-16-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

250rAL is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    My truck rarely goes out in the Winter, so I don't put thinner oil in for the season. It gets 10w-30 year round. For that reason, it's got a 1000 amp battery in it. Spins it with authority no matter the temp.
    36PJ Keihin
    K&N
    Boyesen reeds
    Magura hydraulic clutch
    Roost Boost
    MSR bars
    OMF swingarm skid
    ITP Beadlocks

Three Wheelin' Since '84

--
    The truck has something like an 850 CCA battery with a 4.9L engine, so I didn't do this because the battery isn't up to snuff.

Part of this was a way for me to get some functional experience with super capacitors, the other is because of the way these release power so quickly and smooth out the entire electrical system.

This could also be used in conjunction with a smaller (less expensive) battery to reduce weight while retaining proper starting power. Maybe one of the larger super capacitor modules could even replace one battery, in a dual battery system, meaning if these last like they should, it could save money on batteries in the long run.

I'm just getting into them. When the battery on my 200ES needs replaced, I'll probably see about using one of these on it, in a hybrid build with a small lithium battery. Motorcycle and ATV batteries don't typically last as long as automotive ones, but the lithium batteries for them are proving to hold up really well. I've had one in a motorcycle, with no battery tender used, and it's been about eight years now. It can sit for months on end and not loose much of a charge.

--
    Update:

It's still working great. The box I built has remained dry inside and the entire system has been working as expected. No pics, but after thousands of miles, everything is still looking like I just installed it.

This old truck has always started easily, and the super capacitors haven't made it jump to life in half a key turn, but they do balance out the electrical system when high draw things are switched on.

--
    Update: The module is still working great, but even better is the project box hasn't collected any visible moisture inside and it's all staying clean.

--
    I just popped back in to look at the pics again

Very nice project, my friend

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

--
    I've been meaning to post this for a while. Here's some pictures of what I done to add vents to the project box. Each corner has a void that holes can be drilled in to at least equalize pressure during temperature changes. The really good part is this means that the vent hole isn't drilled directly into the box, but has a chamber where the inside/outside holes can be staggered so the inside vent is higher than the outside. That'll make it difficult for liquid water to go directly into the box without total submersion. I drilled the vent holes solely for the current mounting position, to allow venting while preventing water ingress. The void also presents a option of using filter foam between the inside/outside vents, if operating in very dusty conditions.

Name:	20201206_124413_HDR_LI.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	688.0 KB 
ID:	267923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201206_124452_HDR.jpg 
Size:	560.9 KB 
ID:	267924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201206_125135_HDR_LI.jpg 
Size:	624.4 KB 
ID:	267925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201206_141226_HDR.jpg 
Size:	952.0 KB 
ID:	267926

I got the box on Ebay. I'll have to go back and look for a link to the seller and edit this post. I enjoy the clear top, although it didn't work out like I wanted because of the mounting location, and the paint I used on it is holding up well in the engine bay. Don't know if I mentioned it, but the lid used a O-ring seal and box has a raised ridge that makes the seal even better. I don't see why the box couldn't withstand severely wet conditions except for complete submersion.
    Last edited by ATC King; 07-22-2021 at 10:27 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //