//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 82/83 YT175 piston rings

--

82/83 YT175 piston rings

Hey all! new to the site here! i got me a 1983 Yamaha trimoto 175 that needs rings. My question is does both years 82 and 83 use the same standard size piston rings? assuming standard bore is 66.0MM? The part numbers are different but i know sometimes manufacturers change the numbers over the years but its still the same part. I cant seem to find standard size rings for the 83 year but i found plenty for the 82. Not sure why that is?-thanks in advance

--
    Saw that no one has answered you, so I went and looked at the part numbers. Very odd how the first 3 identifiers 5V7 and 20E are all over the place. If the engine was newer than say 1990 I'd be concerned that the parts didn't cross over, but back then they used the same parts as long as they could.

I can't tell you with absolute certainty that they'll interchange, but if you can order them from somewhere that would accept a return you could measure them against what came out of your engine to see if they're the same. Short of that the safest thing would be to buy a complete Wiseco piston and rings. It would cost you a piston, but give you peace of mind.

--
    Im willing to bet that they are the same. I focus more on the Yamaha enduros from 68 to the late 70s and lots of parts are interchangeable so im assuming its the same in this case. I got this frame from a friend for free with no motor so i had to buy one off ebay and unfortunately it didn't come with the rings and clips to hold the wrist pin in but over all the motor looks really good. Im going to call up a few local shops to see if any of them know anything but im probably going to buy the rings from an 82 and see how things measure up.

--
    Agreed. I’d bet they’re the same

--
    I thought i would let everyone know that i bought rings from an 82 year and they will not work with an 83. Well they partially do, 1 ring is tapered and the other is not. The tapered ring seems to fit real nice i even took it up to a local shop and he said the same thing but the one that's not tapered doesn't seem to wanna fit in either grove. Ill probably end up ordering another ring set from an 82 year and using the tapered rings from each kit. I find it hard to believe that no one is making standard size rings for an 83 year, i cant even find NOS or a used set!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //