//ArrowChat Code

Thread: who parts out three wheelers?

--

who parts out three wheelers?

So to the guys and gals that buys these trikes and parts them out. Say a typical hardtail, say you find a complete parked 185 or 200s, what parts sell quick and what parts ends up going to the dump. I'm just curious, im the idiot going out picking up the trikes that should be junked and bringing them back to life. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Complete parked 185 or 200, recoil and decomp get sold first, thats easy $100-150 if in good shape. Fuel tank in good shape, at least $100+ depending, engine or engine parts on ebay, I havent found a ton other than the recoil and a few other little bits that sell super quick. Just depends on your market. But only thing going in the dump should be junk...even a frame is worth something to someone somewhere. Sometimes they get given away for the cost of shipping, if it helps someone out its worth it.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Don't forget seats.

90% of a 3 wheeler (hardtail) value is in 4 parts
    Tank, seat, fenders, recoil.

You can nickle and dime every single nut and bolt, but for the big fast money those are your top
    items.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    I dont part them, im the guy looking on ebay buying stuff. Luckily we have a guy here thats been buying and selling dirt toy stuff for years. He used to get a complete trike and would just sell anything off of it. Now if its complete, he sells it complete. but he still has alot of trike parts left over from years of parting them..And as he was telling me, theres not too many three wheeler guys buying hardtails anymore. His most 200x,350x,70s,and 250r stuffs all gone. he must have 20 or more 90s 110,125 185 and 200s left. if I had the room, id grab another 185 or 110 from him but I'm already overflowing with my trikes and chevys. jim.
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

--
    I part them out...to my parts stash.

Metal seat pans are good, repairable, or too far gone. I've tossed some of those away, and repaired others. It's pretty rare to find good ones anymore. Can't get these new aftermarket either, so that's something I'm looking for when checking out a parts trike. If it has a good seat pan, I'll definitely pay more for the trike. Foam and covers are still available new, with the foam being the costliest component of the seat, after the pan.

I'm thrown some steel wheels away. They were ones with rust pitting so bad, they just weren't safe to use. New ones are still available and not expensive.

I keep even parts of plastics, for using to plastic weld cracked ones that are still repairable. That way I know it's a compatible plastic, and it's already the correct color. New fenders are still available for most of the hardtails. 200M front fender isn't, and new 200S fenders don't have the trunk, along with any of the other trikes that had a trunk in the fender. When used and abused fender prices are nearly that of new, it's a no-brainer. They can keep their old junk.

Fuel tanks are often repairable. Finding one with actually no rust if very rare, and I don't even worry about it. I'm not paying a premium for a no rust tank that's just going on a rider. Tank sealers and brazing works just fine. Plastic tanks are available for most, but the ones for the hardtails are pretty ugly and don't follow the lines.

Recoil housings...got to have those. No way around having to pay up for those, even empty. For certain a big plus if getting one on a parts trike at a good price. If the whole trike is $100, it's worth that just for the recoil starter; all the other parts are bonus.

If there are parts trikes near me, I usually check them out. Most all of them are at least worth $100 in parts for my own use. What's a hundred bucks now anyway, that less than dinner and a movie for a family of four.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Seats, tires and plastics make it financially impossible for me to see buying a bike that needs all three and then to throw in a recoil? You'd spend more on eBay for those things than for a decent rider complete.

I have found that trading with other trike guys is good for parts. I have a couple of guys who will sell for a fair price (sometimes free) things that I need and they have and I reciprocate.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    I dont part them, im the guy looking on ebay buying stuff. Luckily we have a guy here thats been buying and selling dirt toy stuff for years. He used to get a complete trike and would just sell anything off of it. Now if its complete, he sells it complete. but he still has alot of trike parts left over from years of parting them..And as he was telling me, theres not too many three wheeler guys buying hardtails anymore. His most 200x,350x,70s,and 250r stuffs all gone. he must have 20 or more 90s 110,125 185 and 200s left. if I had the room, id grab another 185 or 110 from him but I'm already overflowing with my trikes and chevys. jim.
    I see that you're like me. I need to build a lean to on the side of garage for more storage (trike) space. I have a fair amount parts from different ones that I've stripped down. More space would at least get them out of the yard.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mr. C nailed it, though I would say yes fenders are valuable but you can't hardly ship them easily at all.

I collect recoil and housings, same with NOS and good rocker arms, and a few other parts here and there. At least I'll be able to keep my current stuff running. The way things are going I mainly only buy parts bikes, but I can often get them very cheap $25-100. You just have to keep your eyes open...money can be made if you have the proper setup, but you won't get rich off it.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    I've got 2 185s now, a 3rd one I'm hoping to finish up pretty soon. 4 spare 185 or 200 motors 2 200s frames, wheels hubs, etc. plus a titled 110 and a spare 125m motor. a small collection compared to others here. might pick up another pos trike tomorrow mainly for the tires and wheels for my latest 185 project. Then I'll have another naked trike project to figure out what to do with. jim
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //