//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250es rear bearings?

--

250es rear bearings?

When do u replace the rear bearings?
    Is there a test?
    I’m replacing the fronts as they look bad while I am doing a rim/tire upgrade
    So do I just assume the rears need it too?

Also while I have the manual... it is confusing to visualize where they are.
    Kit from All Balls has 3 bearings in it.
    I can not find any walkthroughs about it... I am guessing it’s a full rear end tare down? (Remove axel?)

Any advice is welcome and I thank you for.

--
    I have has prolly 8 big red 250's...Luckily i have not had a bad rear bearing yet, But you should be able to grab the rear rack and giggle it from side 2 side and listen and feel it if they are bad. Another way is jack it up and wiggle the rear .
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    The bearing are on the front of the swingarm. Should have a chrome cap = 1 on each side. under the cap should be an allen headed bolt if i remember correctly from a tear down on a parts es many moons ago.
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    What bearings? Diff bearings or swingarm?
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    Thanks for replying guys...
    I think I am good now... dug back through the manual and can see now that the 3 bearings go:
    1 in the brake, and the other 2 are in the L & R "bearing housings"
    I ordered both the front and the back sets from All Balls... I did the fronts... but I do not think I am going to bother with the rears for now.
    The fronts looked awful... but it really was just the dust covers that were bad... the bearings were fine. ... so the backs are probably also fine.

got a tip... to remove bearings.
    I could not get a punch or anything to catch an edge of the bearing to knock them out due to the inside pipe.
    My old man... grabbed a red head (a concrete anchor bolt that wedges out) stuck it in tighten it enough to grab then hit it from the back ... every hit flared the bolt out more grabbing the bearing and ... pop out they came. super easy... if any one ever has trouble... give it a try.

Thanks again... now gona go have some fun on the lake with my new 12" rims and 26" bear claws!

--
    I'm glad that you got it going again. Now don't forget the pictures of the lake ride.

--
    I knew the bearings on my 250sx were bad when I saw grease/gear oil on the wheel. I was riding on the Hatfield Mccoy trails in West Virginia when it happened, luckily I was at my truck taking a break when I noticed it instead of 40 miles out on a trail.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //