//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Cable End Replacement

--

Cable End Replacement

Somewhat unrelated to trikes, but applicable, I was doing a carb swap today and needed to shorten the throttle cables.

Old carb, left, new (to me) on right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210112_154704_HDR.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	266061

I only had to shorten the cable, and not the housing, but this works the same either way. As luck would have it, a nearby parts store had some cable stops. An assorted package of them was ~$3.70. I only needed the two 1/4" ones for this project.

Name:	20210112_162048_HDR.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	266062

The larger ones could possibly be used for brake cables. I had to turn down the 1/4 stops just a smidge, to fit the carb. I done this by putting them on the end of a long screw, fixed in a drill, and turned against a file clamped in a vise.

I cut the original cable ends off and removed any brackets or nuts from the adjusters that I wouldn't need. Then I positioned the cable stop where I needed it, placing the stop screw barely a thread in, just to keep the solder from coming out the bottom. I did clean the cables with brake parts cleaner and used soldering flux. Then I slowly put solder in, just enough to fill it. I didn't use anything fancy, just a convenience store butane torch to melt the solder.

Name:	20210112_161132_HDR.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	266063

I've got actual propane/MAP gas torches and soldering irons, but I just used something very much like this:

After removing the screw, which take a little effort, the entire cable stop is mostly filled with solder. A small void is there, but the cable is held securely.

Name:	20210112_161506_HDR.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	266064

The final step is filing or grinding away the last bit of cable. I used a Dremel with a grinding wheel, after sniping away the bulk of it with a pair of dykes.

Name:	20210112_161925_HDR.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	266065

Nothing more special than a drill used, along with some actual cable cutters (bicycle cables) for the first cut. The cut after the stop is soldered on is easily done with regular dykes. A hand file will take care of the much of the final prep, but a rotary tool with a grinding wheel speeds things up.

The larger cable stops would probably work for the brake cables on many trikes.
    Last edited by ATC King; 01-12-2021 at 11:32 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    A good Soldering iron works awesome

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Oh, I've got one, but I just wanted to have a go at it with the cheap-O butane lighter that I have. Also, I done it to point out that a somewhat expensive soldering iron isn't needed, for those who are in a pinch.

--
    Nice... I have done similar, usually by turning down a piece of copper rod in the lathe to make it because i don't have any local places that carry that stuff. Back when i was in high school, wow has that been a while, in the small engine shop we had a set of molding pliers for pouring lead into and forming the cable end on. You could mark the cable where you needed it, slide the molding pliers over the cable and center the mark you made then close them and latch closed then melt some lead and pour it in and let cool, open the pliers and clean up the mold lines quick with a file and you have a factory looking end on the cable. I wish i had a set of those, i have looked for many many years and never found a set like the ones we had in that old high school shop. All those tools went to auction years ago when the shop class got shut down and the space turned into a classroom.

Anyone else use or see something like that back in the day? Seems like at one time they were pretty common. I remember it had instructions for how much lead and how much tin to make it harder then just a piece of lead solder, i forget what the ratio was but i know it was more then 60/40.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I wish you had a picture of what you are talking about. I might be able to locate one.

--
    If you guy's find old tools, buy 'em up. Maybe post up some pics if you do.

People didn't stop using them because they didn't work, they stopped because later generations became less interested in being self-sufficient and learning a trade. The ending of those programs in high schools didn't help.

--
    I have an old tool, but those pictures are private.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--

Name:	8F390C4F-33C9-4C64-BEF7-89743247712D.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	266080

A tool like this
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Is that a ball end mold for cables or for ball ammunition?

Asking because there's nothing for scale.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Is that a ball end mold for cables or for ball ammunition?

Asking because there's nothing for scale.
    Ammo. Someone mentioned a pair of pliers they used for a mold, I would imagine these would come in different sizes. Obviously would only work for a round cable end. I’ve seen jigs made of metal or aluminum with a slit for the cable leading to a hole for the end
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    It wouldn't be too expensive to purchase ones for ammo if it was the right size and shape. Ball ends on cable are a pretty old design though. I don't know of any new motorcycles that use that; maybe some Russian or Eastern Europe manufacturers still do.

I was looking for ball ends and came across this moped website that sells many different styles of ends. Some bolt on and others for soldering on.
    http://myronsmopeds.com/category/cable/cable-parts/

With all the ends, ferrules, adjusters, and bulk cable they sell, someone could make just about anything they'd need.

--
    I've been using this outfit for cables/parts when I have to make 'em, they've been working well so far.

https://www.venhillusa.com/products/...and-parts.html

A guy can also make a mold for cylindrical ends out of a spare bolt like this guy shows, this is similar to how I do Mikuni choke cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysd8JkWclmc
    Hoarder of the finest junk

'82 YT175
    '83 YTM200
    '85 KLT110
    '86 Moto 4 225
    '84 TRX200 trike conversion.
    '87 Tecate 4
    Lots of vintage and not so vintage two wheeled stuff.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //