//ArrowChat Code

Thread: I guess not all front drum brakes are the same

--

I guess not all front drum brakes are the same

they look similar, and have a different way of holding the outer drum in place. yesterday I was swapping wheels around on the 125m. I had a 9inch wheel and tire with the brakes attached, since the tire holds air, I thought I'd just use it on the 125. turns out the centerline of the axle to the bottom of the slot that keeps the drum in position is a little farther apart. Even with the locating stud on the axle bottomed out, the axle wont seat all the way in.
    I'm pulling it off tonight and hopefully if I remember I'll get a side by side measurement. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    There are several different configurations of hardtail front brakes. Aluminum drums, steel drums, aluminum brake plates, steel brake plates, some have an actual seal while others just a labyrinth seal. The ones meant for solid forks and others for suspended forks. Different cables and mounts too.

The all steel ones are the easiest to find, with the aluminum ones like on the 200S, being more difficult to source.

Like doing a rigid, to suspended fork swap typically means it'll need everything, from the fork itself, all the way to the axle, hub, and brake parts. There may be a small bit of mixing and matching possible, but not much.

I've got several drums and plates from rigid forks that I can't really use on anything else I have.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //