//ArrowChat Code

Thread: My first 250r!

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

My first 250r!

Just brought this puppy home, first ever 250r and first 2 stroke. Bought it off a guy in Kansas, i think he is here on the board also. Its really in pretty good shape for the age, minus a few quirks. I want to thank Dirtcrasher especially for all his help, also Jwheeler and El Camexican for their tips. They really helped me figure out what I was looking at, being fairly new to 2 strokes, other than the odd chainsaw or whatever.

All the lights work, tank is in great shape, swingarm appears tight. Needs a rear grab bar, rear fenders, front fork rebuild, probably wheel bearings. Also need the sprocket retainer clip, it seems to be missing. If anyone has some of those parts, let me know. The top end will need gone through, it runs good but has some scoring on the piston. Other than all that, it seems pretty complete and fairly original to my untrained eye anyway.

First thing to ditch is that dang twist throttle, I'm not used to them at all and I almost stood this thing on its ass on my test drive, lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210116_153111.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	266124

Name:	20210116_170343.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	266125

Name:	20210116_170353.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	266126

Name:	20210116_170402.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	266127
    Last edited by BarnBoy; 01-17-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Nice score.

I love s

wild200x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Welcome to the 2 stroke fam. You will love this! My wife grew up having her dad put twists on every machine (even 110s). because of this we have a twist on one R and a thumb on other. I have gotten used to both now. But prefer thumb. is it 83 or 84? I have owned neither and can't recall differences.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wild200x View Post
    Welcome to the 2 stroke fam. You will love this! My wife grew up having her dad put twists on every machine (even 110s). because of this we have a twist on one R and a thumb on other. I have gotten used to both now. But prefer thumb. is it 83 or 84? I have owned neither and can't recall differences.
    Thanks guys. So this is an 84, from what I've read its pretty much identical to the 83 except for some rear end differences. It needs some work before its rideable, but the frame seems to be in good shape and its pretty much all there. These didn't have any known weaknesses or frame cracking issues like say the 350x did they?

Honestly I grew up on thumb throttles, never rode dirt bikes very much as a kid. Mostly trikes and a few quads. Might make me sound like a newb to sport machines but I just don't feel like I have any control whatsoever of the bike with the twist throttle. I am new to 2 strokes though, all of a sudden BLAM....wheelie!!

The seller had an 81 with a speedo on it too, wrong speedo for the year but it was complete with the drive and stuff. He was supposed to bring them both, but apparently got in a rush and forgot to grab the 81. It needed a bunch more work though, I probably couldn't have got it for the price I capped myself at anyway. I'm happy with the 84.

Da velder

--
    Nice score, congrats! Someday I too hope to find a 250R.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Thanks Drew, from what the Mass boys tell me your prices are insane for trikes, if you can even find them. Hope you can find one at some point. Looks like you've got a tri-Z though, I bet that's a screamer.

Da velder

--
    Where did it come from? I'm just curious. I have a friend in Nebraska who has a second gen 250R. I think it only has a DG exhaust and I think it is just about perfect. It has more power than stock, but it isn't uncontrollable. Another friend in the same town has a third gen 250R. He has no idea what all was done to it. He bought it the way that it is. Now that thing's scary. I rode it and gave it 2/3-3/4 throttle. When I got back, he said that it didn't sound like I opened it up all the way. I told him that I didn't, but I opened it up enough to get a good feeling for it. They are A LOT of fun.

--
    Congrats on picking up the fooler!

--
    Nice score, I love all years of the 250R.

She'll stand up for you with a thumb throttle too

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Where did it come from? I'm just curious. I have a friend in Nebraska who has a second gen 250R. I think it only has a DG exhaust and I think it is just about perfect. It has more power than stock, but it isn't uncontrollable. Another friend in the same town has a third gen 250R. He has no idea what all was done to it. He bought it the way that it is. Now that thing's scary. I rode it and gave it 2/3-3/4 throttle. When I got back, he said that it didn't sound like I opened it up all the way. I told him that I didn't, but I opened it up enough to get a good feeling for it. They are A LOT of fun.
    Came from about 4 hrs south of you in KS, 2 hrs north of OKC. This has a DG pipe also, and aluminum wheels. I've heard the liquid cooled bikes are a whole nother bike power wise. Probably way too much for me to be honest lol.

Anyway, if I can get it trail worthy in time I am 100% down for the little Sahara trip.

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by floydechoes2000 View Post
    Nice score, I love all years of the 250R.

She'll stand up for you with a thumb throttle too
    Thanks, I bet she will, but hopefully when I want her to...instead of seemingly out of nowhere haha.

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Came from about 4 hrs south of you in KS, 2 hrs north of OKC. This has a DG pipe also, and aluminum wheels. I've heard the liquid cooled bikes are a whole nother bike power wise. Probably way too much for me to be honest lol.

Anyway, if I can get it trail worthy in time I am 100% down for the little Sahara trip.
    Sounds like it's pretty close to Wichita then. If you're talking about the trip that I mentioned to you, it's way more trike than we'll have. Even stock. But bring it anyway.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Sounds like it's pretty close to Wichita then. If you're talking about the trip that I mentioned to you, it's way more trike than we'll have. Even stock. But bring it anyway.
    Yeah an hour or 2 south of Wichita. Yes, thats what I was referring to...I just need an excuse to get it out haha. Might be the only thing I have running in time...the way things are going.

Da velder

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Awesome for you barn boy!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //