//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seat cover replacement

--

Seat cover replacement

Sorry if this has been covered. I have a 86 200X that I am cleaning up and I wanted to change the seat cover. I took the seat off of the fenders and I see it is stapled on. What is everyone using to fasten the new cover on? Also is anyone keeping the old cover on and putting the new one i er it? Just a little worried if removing the old one could cause the foam to fall apart.
    Thanks for any help you can give

Jim

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo65 View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered. I have a 86 200X that I am cleaning up and I wanted to change the seat cover. I took the seat off of the fenders and I see it is stapled on. What is everyone using to fasten the new cover on? Also is anyone keeping the old cover on and putting the new one i er it? Just a little worried if removing the old one could cause the foam to fall apart.
    Thanks for any help you can give

Jim
    I'm not an expert, but I think staples are still the way to hold a cover on a plastic pan.

I only had my guy put a new cover over an old one once and I'll never do it again. Fit was horrible and in my case it caused the new cover to rub the sub-frame and fuel tank to the point of causing a lot of abnormal wear.

--
    Thanks for the feedback. What do you use to staple it on? I haven't found anything that will put bigger staples on.

Thanks
    Jim

--
    You really need a pneumatic stapler and 1/4 inch stainless staples. Yes remove your old seat cover, i suppose you could always add a "thin"layer of foam like 1/4 inch thick from any craft store (glue it to your old foam)with spray upholstery glue if u need it. A hand stapler just wont work it'll just frustrate the hell outa you. I think i got mine from Harbor Freight for $20 bucks-ish. Of course you'd need the compressor and such as well though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AA0B3B0-B7E5-4D53-B879-FC005C74A7A2.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	266148

shep
    p.s i'm no expert either, but this works for me.
    Last edited by Shep1970; 01-17-2021 at 09:49 PM.

--
    Thank you. I was looking at them but didn't know what staples would work. How long is the top of the staple and how deep. I'm not real familiar with them.
    Thanks
    Jim

--
    These (pic) will fit in the gun i showed earlier- but stainless would be better, i'm betting honda didn't use stainless staples though. I've got two brothers that "borrow" tools/stuff and i could not find my stainless ones to show ya, things just seem to just vanish never to be seen again around here........

Name:	02B218F9-E7F0-4F57-B938-FA2A5DC15066.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	266150
    shep

--
    Thank you! I didn't think something like that would be heavy enough. Good to know I can get what I need a HF.
    Much appreciated
    Jim

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thank you! I didn't think something like that would be heavy enough.
    They're not real heavy on their own, but there is strength in numbers, lol. Every seat I've taken apart has had an absolute pile of staples in it, haha.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Stapler worked great! I was going to post a picture of the seat but I don't see an option to upload a picture. Thanks for the help on picking a stapler.

Jim

--
    Good news.

The Harbor Freight staple gun I bought many years ago for ~$15 is still going strong.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Stapler worked great! I was going to post a picture of the seat but I don't see an option to upload a picture. Thanks for the help on picking a stapler.

Jim
    I think you need to make 5 more posts to prove you’re not a spammer and then the photo option will become available.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Ok thanks. I see an option for a link but not one to upload a picture. I don't have any pictures online so I can't link to any.

Jim

--
    The last post made it 4 and this will hopefully make it 3.

--
    click on the icon circled in RED and it should ask if you want to upload from computer or URL

Name:	addpic3ww.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	266593

--
    Mine is only giving me a url option when I click it.

Jim

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //