//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 200ES Smokes sometimes?

--

1984 200ES Smokes sometimes?

Hello to all that might take a peek at this.

I recently changed my oil on my trike. I drove it around for a while and it never smoked at all. It sat for 4 days started it up and smokes like crazy for the first few minutes. I am thinking the rings are bad. I probably need to get a new piston rings and of course get the cylinder bored out.

Wondering if I am on the right track with this or is there something else I should be looking at. I am not sure if the trike has the original piston ring set or not. Any info would be appreciated, there are lots of guys with a lot of knowledge on this topic in here I am sure.

Thanks

Bro...

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    This sounds like oil leaking past the valve seals when the engine is shut off. I have had this problem with lots of old Chevy V8 engines over the years.

--
    That's what I'm thinking too.

--
    Another, possibly valve guide seals, suggestion.

It could also be the head gasket, leaking internally. Maybe around the area the cam chain runs.

You've got the big job of pulling that heavy sucker out of the frame either way. May as well look at the condition of the entire top end.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I want to thank all of you for the replies, this summer I shall tackle the beast!!!!

--
    could you pull the cross member off where the foot pegs are mounted and lower the motor

--
    did you go to synthetic oil? or thinner oil? jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    did you go to synthetic oil?
    Probably not, because that would have been obvious. Synthetic oil makes digital smoke.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
    Hey King, if you don't mind could you school me on what 'digital smoke' is? I looked online, found no answers and I like to learn. Thanks
    It was a joke.

--
    My 200ES has done this despite a rebuild, bore and hone, new piston and rings, new valve guides and seals, new gaskets, was great for a couple years then started doing it again, not low on compression or anything. I gave up on it for now because i don't want to pull the motor again, the 200ES is a HEAVY SOB to get out and back in, no easy way to do it but swear and grunt. I suspect its the oil galley o-ring on the dowel pin letting a little bit of oil into and around the head gasket and its leaking in there, but the compression isn't down like it would be if the head gasket was leaking, so maybe its just bad replacement valve seals... No idea... If i let it sit a week or so it will smoke briefly on first start, but if i run it every day i won't see any smoke, so the leak into the cylinder takes a long time. I had another guy suggest that there is o-rings under the valve guides against the cylinder head, and it may be leaking around them as it sits for a long time. Who knows, it never uses enough oil to be a problem, its like a drip or two gets in the cylinder and it blows it out after a long rest. If nothing else the cylinder isn't getting rusty sitting!! LOL
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //