//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ideas to make a seat pan?

--

ideas to make a seat pan?

anyone ever make a seat pan? I need another seat pan for my 81 185s. ive got a really nice rust free pan I could use to make a mold out of. is fiberglass about the only option? would epoxy work? trying to do this on a budget. ive got 2 81s and 1 82 185s and need at least 1 pan, maybe make a couple spares. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    I made a craaapy one once for a bike, nothing you’d want to copy.

Have you worked with fiberglass before? It’s messy (understatement), requires some special tools and unless you buy supplies in bulk, not cheap.

You’d need to make a mold off the underside of your pan providing there are no bends over 90 degrees so that you can remove the glass.

After you have the mold off you need to repair and polish any defects out.

Issues that come to mind with a glass pan are the edges of it cutting through your seat cover, but you might be able to put a u shaped rubber trim around the circumference to solve that. The other thing would be how to staple the cover on. You could probably glass in some wood strips or blocks into the underside of the pan. Glass and wood work well together

If you do this please post the process.

--
    ^

Like he said, it won't be cheap. If you haven't done major glass work before, it's also going to be a very steep learning curve when trying to make a successful mold.

I've worked as a industrial fiberglass fabricator. It's a very messy thing to do and it'll pretty much render any of the clothes you wear while doing it, unwearable for anything else.

For a project like this, there will be cutting and sanding and all of those glass strands floating around will permeate everything and you'll want an approved mask and eyewear while doing it.

We worked in full Tyvek suits, duck taped all wrist and ankle seams, but it still would manage to get past that and itch like the dickens. Be scratch'n like a crack fiend.

On a budget, it'd still be cheaper to buy a 110 flux core MIG and use clothes dryer/washer panels. It's going to be time consuming any way you do it. Using some scrap sheet metal is the cheapest way you can.

Either way, you'd end up holding the cover on with rivets and washers, same as with a used OEM pan missing the teeth.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I see atcheaven sells a fiberglass pan for 98 bucks. Probably a better product and cheaper than what I could make. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Yep Ric from at heaven does some great fibreglass replacement parts. Would recommend.
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/index....product_id=462
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-9518-81-1050x1200_0.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	266204

It'd be nice if someone with one would post the install.

How does the front attach? Does it require the front metal cups be cut off of the OE pan and bolted on?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    How does the front attach? Does it require the front metal cups be cut off of the OE pan and bolted on?
    Yes many of the plastic or glass seat pans require using the OEM mounting brackets

I know for a 1st gen 250r you need to remove the front cup brackets and rivet them to the new pan or use a bolt on 83-5 200x front seat bracket instead

--
    Send you seat pan to dc plastics so he can make a mold. Thats stops everyone from the needle in a haystack search.

Dcvmx.com

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //