//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ebay carbs?

--
    Had one on a Yamaha 225DX - came that way from previous owner but I got the original carb too. Sputtered at mid to high throttle range so I swapped the main jets and it ran much better. Jetting seems to be a common issue.
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    I remotely helped a friend with a 350x with carb issues and he ended up buying a chinese carb off ebay for it. It ran but didn't right right at all and the engine was freshly rebuilt. Idle circuit was close to being right, but the main jet was way off. Swapped to OEM jets, helped slightly, went up in size on main and helped a little more, had him adjust needle position and none of the settings got a good transaction between the slow jet and main jet, it would either pop and backfire from being too lean, or have a delay and slow to rev from being too rich. Ended up suggesting an OEM carb and he bought one from a carb rebuilder. I think the only thing I had to have him do was adjust the needle location once and it was pretty spot on. Tuning a machine via cell videos is interesting xD. I'm no master at tuning, but I've always tuned by ear and can get things pretty close.

Like everyone else says, the Chinese carbs have major quality control problems. The passages seem to be the main issue in the carb body, the majority of the other parts aren't too bad and fair chances of parts being interchangeable with the OEM carb (float bowl, float, top cover, etc). They are pretty cheap for those kinds of parts, but OEM is by far the best to start with (or something name brand that will stand behind their product).

--
    Keeping in mind the Chinese carbs will commonly need the jets changed, don't forget to add that to the price.

People who've been messing with these for years already have an assortment of jets, but if someone doesn't, it's going to cost an additional $15 or more for name brand jets. How much more depends on how close it gets the first time. If someone ends up having a few different pilots and four or more mains, the cost will quickly increase.

That budget priced carb can end up costing half or more of a used OE one. With budget parts, there is often hidden costs.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Was thinking about one of these eBay carbs for my 1984 200S...I think Iam going to buy a rebuilt kit...
    MF!

--
    I found that some sellers have carbs with smaller slides than others. last 3 I bought, 1 didn't run quite right, I was messing with a original carb and another china carb. While I had the slide out I noticed the slides were different. I installed the larger china carb and it ran great afterwards. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Since this is back up top I'll say that it seems most people buying these Chinese carbs just slap them on and if it runs half decent (doesn't spit and fart) they don't touch it although it may be far from right.

I wouldn't pay asking price for any trike with one of those, especially if the seller can't even say what size jets are in it. They probably just slapped it on for a quick resell and didn't even bother inspecting it beforehand. It also may not accept OE parts and is trash once anything goes wrong with it. I've seen some online auctions and sales where the trike clearly has a Chinese carb but there's absolutely no mention of it in the ad. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky, stinky pinky.

I think they are just fine with proper inspection and tuning and don't mind using them on something that's difficult to find a OE replacement for but reading enough trike forums it becomes clear of how many people don't have a clue on how to deal with carbs and are buying these thinking they're a direct replacement. That is not an area to be cheap with if someone can't make it work right on their own.

--
    I quit cheaping out on carbs when one i had got stuck at WOT.
    “Pb blaster, blow torch, and a liberal amount of french will unstuck any stuck bolt.”

69 ct90
    71 ct70
    74 cb350
    76 xl100 (12v mod)
    84 xl125 (xl125s motor swap)
    85 250es
    85 250sx
    86 ct110
    86 trx125
    98 tw200
    03 ttr125 (heavily modded)
    03 yz85
    03 xr70 (heavily modded)

92 dodge w250 (daily)

https://www.instagram.com/brycedamemechanic/

--
    Yea I agree, ignition, fuel, and spark, 3 super critical things for the engine, and all areas people shouldn't cheap out on. That goes for atvs, cars, boats, etc. It's almost impossible to beat OEM quality, but a product built down to a price can very easily beat OEM prices.

--
    problem I run into is I buy basket cases some have carbs, some don't, some have parts of carbs on them. So the cheap carbs gets a project working.
    so where are jet assortments available for these China carbs? jim
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    There's the problem right there, since it's chinese built, who knows what jets they use if it's not OEM. Their number system won't match up to OEM, so you'd be starting with basically zero base line for tuning and you'll need several jets to start the process to do it correctly. With an OEM carb, it's simply get all the passages cleaned out, and new OEM jets and it's going to run good if there's no other issues with the carb (worn out slide for example).

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    problem I run into is I buy basket cases some have carbs, some don't, some have parts of carbs on them. So the cheap carbs gets a project working.
    I was buying up used carbs and cleaning a d rebuilding but most don’t want to spend the money on that and would rather buy the cheap ones. I’m tired �� of trying to convince folks that these just don’t work, if not today then tomorrow. I have a few unusable 110 carbs I’ve been wanting to somehow cut apart to compare passages to the China ones.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiMaintenance View Post
    I quit cheaping out on carbs when one i had got stuck at WOT.
    I agree it is better to invest in a high-quality product even if it will cost more.

--
    for a personal not planning on flipping trike, I have to agree. if your trying to sell a trike, locally your lucky to get 600 bucks for a running hardtail. if you have to buy a couple tires, seat cover, cables and getting a title, the trike better be almost free or your basically giving money away.
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rettespeedup View Post
    I agree it is better to invest in a high-quality product even if it will cost more.

I went through like 4 or 5 cheap carbs before the one that got stuck. After that i filled it with used brake fluid (to insure it couldn't be restocked) and sent it back. Bit the bullet and got a mikuni, haven't looked back.
    “Pb blaster, blow torch, and a liberal amount of french will unstuck any stuck bolt.”

69 ct90
    71 ct70
    74 cb350
    76 xl100 (12v mod)
    84 xl125 (xl125s motor swap)
    85 250es
    85 250sx
    86 ct110
    86 trx125
    98 tw200
    03 ttr125 (heavily modded)
    03 yz85
    03 xr70 (heavily modded)

92 dodge w250 (daily)

https://www.instagram.com/brycedamemechanic/

--
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiMaintenance View Post
    I went through like 4 or 5 cheap carbs before the one that got stuck. After that i filled it with used brake fluid (to insure it couldn't be restocked) and sent it back. Bit the bullet and got a mikuni, haven't looked back.
    Question here is was it a new Mikuni or a OEM one and if new, where did you get it?

It seems like many people forget that new, name brand carbs are still available and depending on what it is, may not be all that expensive. The main issue is probably finding one the fits , but there are intake and air box adapters for some applications. Have to buy them from a reputable seller though, because some knock-offs are being sold as legit through nefarious storefronts.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //