//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Not the motorsports enthusiast that you expected

--

Not the motorsports enthusiast that you expected

My name is Reid and as in the title, my interests are probably different than those of most members here. I'm a soon to be graduate of Mechanical Engineering, and a Combustion Powertrain Engineer for an FSAE team. My interests include engineering, programming, and motorsports. I've come to this forum to hopefully get some advice on a custom wiring harness for my go-kart build. You're probably wondering why I would be here to talk about go-karts; this is not your average go-kart. I started with a dirt track frame for the heavily offset seating position. This allowed me to fit an engine that takes up a relatively large space; it is from an ATC200X. The engine received a complete rebuild, race cam, high-comp piston, and yes... a turbo. Now I'm well aware of the insane knocking that will probably be occurring if I run this build without a modern ECU. Call me crazy, but I'm going to give it a go with CDI. So that's what I'm here for; I'm hoping you will be able to help me through some problems I've encountered while making a custom CDI wiring harness.

--
    Ps2fixer is our resident wiring harness expert. He build new harnesses and may be the best bet to help you out. On the mechanical side, you may find that a turbo isn't what you're hoping that it will be. You just may not be able to move enough air through the engine to make it build much boost. I seem to recall that someone on here, quite a while back, tried to turbo a 350X. He used the smallest turbo that he could find and still had to keep the engine wound pretty tight in order to keep the boost from falling off. A more modern, higher revving engine like one off of a 250F MX bike would probably be a better bet for a turbo.
    Now I may be wrong on all of that and it may work out for you. I'm just saying don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out.

--
    Yea, I don't expect the turbo to do much. We will see how it goes. Hopefully, Ps2fixer will have some good tips on the harness. I submitted a post in the technical section, but I think it's waiting to be approved.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //