//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Compatible pull start assemblies for 185s

--

Question Compatible pull start assemblies for 185s

I recently acquired several 1982 185s ATCs. Only one had a pull start assembly. I have been searching for replacement assemblies, but they cost more than the ATCs! I found some lore affordable assemblies that are off an 1984 200es. They look identical from the pictures, but I wanted to see if anyone can confirm they are compatible.

Thanks in advance!

--
    The 84 200ES is different, the cage it engages to are completely different. Recoils for these are a pain in the rear to find and expensive when you do. You might want to put up a request in the classified section, someone on here might have one, or check out some of the Facebook groups, i see recoils and other parts for sale on the ATC buy/sell and Honda Hoarders groups all the time, and some are reasonably priced. The other option is just to watch eBay.

Mainly you are going to need something from a 185, 185S, 200, 200S, the silver colored ones, the black ones you will find that look nearly the same shape are going to be 82-83 200E and 84 200ES, the 200E recoils could be made to work if you had no choice, but the shape is different, so they won't mate up quite right to the motor. Also on the silver ones the later years had the decomp cable coming out of them, made it an auto decomp when you pulled it, you rarely if ever find them with all the guts anymore, but if you find one reasonably priced with the decomp parts missing and an extra hole on the top next to the pull start cable those will work. I have one on my 81 200, i just made a rubber plug to fill in that hole to keep water out because i wasn't interested in spending a fortune chasing down another one.

Now days i won't hardly touch a used ATC without a recoil on it unless its an otherwise complete and in good shape machine, the darn recoils like you said can cost as much as you paid for the whole machine if they are ratty ones.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    I really appreciate the info. Yes, I will check out those options. These ATCs have been sitting outside for 15+ years before I got them. I have one up and running. I’m hoping to breathe new life in the others.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --

--
    That info is the best and the creator is a member on here. I use it often
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //