//ArrowChat Code

Thread: My first 3 wheeler

--

My first 3 wheeler

Hi there, I'm David and I recently picked up my first 3 wheeler. It's an ATC200. Frame tag says 9/81 but I see it has front forks from a later model, and some decals on the rear plastics say BIG RED and 200ES. Definitely not either of those lol.

I traded a 1980 Suzuki SP400 for it. In my area 3 wheelers are stupid overpriced, so I've always wanted one but have been priced out of owning one. A few days ago browsing Facebook, someone posted one who wanted to trade for a dirtbike. I happened to have the SP and I happened to be the first person to reply to his post.

It runs ok but needs some work doing. I also have a crazy idea of putting some forward/reverse gearbox in line with the chain, a guy can dream right? I've ridden bikes my whole life and riding one of these is a different animal for sure. One day of mudding and it feels like I fell down a flight of stairs lol.

I hope to learn lots!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210213_114619.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	266707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210213_191253477.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	266708

wild200x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Welcome to the madness! Yes, you will beet yourself up on these old non suspended. fun times!

--
    Welcome David............my wife has the 185 it fun in tight technical rides and can go just about anywhere! I ruined with the suspension on my 350X!! have fun and keep yer feet on the pegs...don't git dragged off and run over!!

--
    Warning: this may be your first, but it won't be your last. They seem to multiply and before long, you'll need a bigger garage.

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Welcome and enjoy!

--
    That looks like a 200M.

If you you get to liking that, keep your eye out for a 200ES, and you won't need to fiddle with fitting a reverse box too it. The 200ES (1984 only) was the most produced trike by Honda. It's still a hardtail, but with shaft drive, reverse, high/low range. They're not nearly as sought after as the later Big Red, the 250ES, and prices are more reasonable. They're still very capable trikes.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thanks all. I have a question, this trike has a directional ATV Tire on the front, I don't know exactly but it feels alot stiffer than the rears. Is that gonna make a big difference in steering/general handling?

--
    It possibly might. If anything, I think it may want to push through corners instead of grabbing traction and turning. Just to be up front, I have no experience with your type of tire set up and i may be wrong. Your front tire looks like a ITP MUd Lite tire. Those are 6 ply tires. Your rears look like Cheng Shin C828 Lumberjack tires which are two ply tires (I believe). that would explain why the front is stiffer than the rears. I don't think that your trike is a 200M because I can't see an electric starter. I'd guess that it's a plain ATC200.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //