//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 250R cdi problem

--

85 250R cdi problem

So I replaced my coil and boot just because I thought it breaking up was electrical and also figured I’d get a used OEM cdi to try as well. I replaced my coil and with the current cdi it starts right up and idles but breaks up pretty much past 1/4 throttle. I got the oem cdi and put it in and noticed it’s twice as big as the cdi that came in the bike so I googled the part number on the cdi and it’s from that rmstator site. I put the oem cdi in but it wouldn’t start and would pop and backfire. I tested for spark with the original cdi and it’s got big blue spark but no spark with the oem cdi. Actually it would spark once or twice after I finished kicking it. I don’t have the tools to test my stator right now but I pulled the cover and it all looks ok but that doesn’t say much. I tried tapping the oem cdi and nothing changed and the seller says it came out of a running 85 because he switched to CR ignition. What would cause a supposedly good cdi to create no spark?

--
    Hi Joey,
    I was searching for CDI related posts and came across your post. I also have a 85 250r with a failed Cdi.
    I was wondering if you got to the bottom of your issues and what you did to get it running. I’m not keen on a Chinese Cdi replacement on eBay from $8+ any ideas on a quality aftermarket option. Any other members have information where a quality cdi can be sourced ?
    Thanks Greg
    Last edited by Aussie Greg; 11-04-2021 at 09:26 PM.

--
    Yes, I wound up replacing the stator after I found it was aftermarket also. Luckily I found a used OEM stator from a guy 20mins away from me and now it runs like it should. It sucks these parts aren't available from Honda anymore even though the trikes and quads are so popular. You can do a CR ignition swap but I haven't see any for less than $600

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //