//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2000 yz250 trike conversion

--
    Looks like a good choice on the tank.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Looking great so far.I like these builds especially when it's a 2 stroke. There is a YouTube channel trimotoman I think is his user name he does alot of Yamaha 450s .Can't wait to see yours when done.
    250r rules

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Well we just got hit with 30 inches of snow mid April...... so my orders for this machine are gonna be late. But I've got my 250r plastics on order, I'm picking up a set of wheels this weekend, and I ordered a different rear shock. I was going to use a banshee shock to get it good and low in the frame, and turns out that works too well.... it's about 4 inches below the logical spot to put the new shock mount.... (anyone need a brand new veto's performance banshee shock?) haha..... so I'm going to use a yfz450r shock and linkage. I think it'll work out perfect. Trial and error finding the right parts to match my minds eye. But once everything's in I'll be able to build the subframe, which is the only difficult fabrication left! Pumped!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Picked up the wheels today

--
    OK, I made a final decision on the shock. I'm using the bike shock (well technically I think it came from a 2004 yz450, I don't remember haha) and the banshee linkage. Because the shock is sitting lower in the frame I have to stand it a little more upright than a yz. This will allow for clearance for the exhaust to run underneath it, like this ktm. This will allow me to keep everything as low as possible.

From what I can find the spring rate is actually just a little higher than the banshee shock, so that should work perfect. I do think I may need to either run higher than usual preload or possibly put a spacer under the bump stop. Otherwise the extra travel may allow the frame to bottom out. But I'll figure that out after a get it further along.

--
    OK, so the tank is like, ALMOST perfect. But if I slide the seat all the way up to the tank it ends up too far forward. Using the swingarm bolt as a reference you can see what I mean. So I think I'm going to have to make a spacer of some kind between the tank and seat.

Current order of operations: get the swingarm mounted and build the shock and linkage mounts, Build the tank mounts, then build the sub frame with seat mounts and flip mechanism, then footpegs.

OK, enough gabbing, back to work

--
    I think that's because the footpegs on the 250r are further forward vs the footpeg mount on the YZ. I am looking at where they are in relation to the swingarm pivot. I've always felt like the footpegs on the Hondas are too far forward and too high. The fenders do get in the way if you move the footpegs back from the normal 250r position though.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by plevib View Post
    OK, so the tank is like, ALMOST perfect. But if I slide the seat all the way up to the tank it ends up too far forward. Using the swingarm bolt as a reference you can see what I mean. So I think I'm going to have to make a spacer of some kind between the tank and seat.

Current order of operations: get the swingarm mounted and build the shock and linkage mounts, Build the tank mounts, then build the sub frame with seat mounts and flip mechanism, then footpegs.

OK, enough gabbing, back to work

Man that’s how the tri z should have looked with a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

TexFest is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    did you install your forks backwords or is that to help with the handling?
    TPC 450R

--
    He probably did that to get the wheelbase where he wanted it, like you said, for handling.

Similar to the 250R front end on a 350X, they have to be ran trailing axle or the wheelbase is too long and it doesn't turn well...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I’m curious to know how much clearance you have between the triple clamps and the radiators and shrouds you are at full lock. Do you happen to remember how much offset you went with on the clamps?
    It sucks to get old

TexFest is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    He probably did that to get the wheelbase where he wanted it, like you said, for handling.

Similar to the 250R front end on a 350X, they have to be ran trailing axle or the wheelbase is too long and it doesn't turn well...
    Makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TPC 450R

--
    To answer the questions about the forks, it's because that's how the 250r has the front set up, and I'm copying it as closely as possible. The head tube has been changed to 21 degrees to match the 250r, the triples have 6 degrees of rake, the forks are within a 1/4 inch of the length of a 250r, and the axle is trailing, just like the R
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I’m curious to know how much clearance you have between the triple clamps and the radiators and shrouds you are at full lock. Do you happen to remember how much offset you went with on the clamps?
    Good catch, haven't mocked up the radiators to check for sure but at a quick glance it looks like they'll clear, but I will have to kinda stretch the shrouds out to make them wider to clear the clamps

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //