//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Kawasaki KLT160 CDI

f76 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Kawasaki KLT160 CDI

I’m attempting to save a KLT160 and have narrowed down the no start condition to lack of spark or weak intermittent spark. Going down the check list in the service manual I’ve concluded the CDI (or igniter part number # 21119-1114) is fried. Large resistance readings and continuity where there shouldn’t be. Unfortunately this CDI doesn’t appear to shared with any other machine. Would anyone have a verified working CDI? Or has anyone successfully used a CDI from another machine? I’m well aware of the parts availability with this specific machine so I’m not opposed to using another CDI if I can get it to work. I have yet to deal with swapping in a different CDI so any experience is appreciated.
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    If OEM isn't available, the most sure bet is a quality, programmable CDI. All the Chinese ones that may fit, are going to be a gigantic hit or miss, and you'll probably end up with nearly $100 worth of multiple CDIs than don't work.

There are are a few different aftermarket CDI manufacturers that sell programmable ones. Not the cheap Ebay ones either, that have a potentiometer or two and say they're programable, I mean the ones that have software and hook up to a computer. I don't recall them all, but you can expect they'll be $150-$250. If OEM was available, it would likely be in that price range too.

The basic workings of a CDI isn't complicated, it's just the cheap Chinese ones are exceptionally...cheap. I've used them, and am currently using one, but I think for you're KLT160, there would be a pile of them in the tool box before you found one that worked.
    Last edited by ATC King; 02-26-2021 at 12:29 AM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I ordered a used CDI off eBay and bench tested it first going by the service manual. Everything was looking good until the positive lead on the black/white and negative lead on the red. Service manual calls for open, meter shows a strong short. This was the same issue I had with the original CDI. My service manual has a circle drawn in that box on the chart too so whoever used the manual last and tested a CDI ran into this same issue.

I’ve found two NOS CDI’s in the dealer network, one wants $242 and the other $440. Pretty steep in my opinion but understandable considering it’s a 1985 only machine and only two NOS exist in the network. Would anyone have a running KLT 160 and be willing to verify that their CDI reads open between the black/white and red wires?

The 160 I have is a complete machine but has clearly been sitting for decades. I would hate to give up on a machine, especially a somewhat rare trike as this, due to a faulty CDI. Of course I could buy one of the NOS but it seems to me they are the weak point and have a common failure of shorting out.
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    Is that a 12v DC powered CDI? I haven't looked at the wiring harness for that trike. Even if it isn't, but the trike has a battery, you could use one on it, it just wouldn't use the source coil, only the pickup.

If it is DC, aftermarket versions of those are abundant.

Either way, double check the harness for shorts too, so a new CDI doesn't get knocked out.

There are easy ways to put a programmable CDI on just about any small engine, it just isn't cheap. No need to dump a trike because of it, if you really want to get it running.

The originals could probably be repaired. People do it all the time on other CDIs. Remove the potting material, find and replace the bad component. Don't chunk them in the trash, just in case. Also, if you're testing one, and the readings aren't correct, tap it against the floor or something solid, then test again. If there's a bad connection, that'll possibly diagnose it. The boards can get hot, and a poorly soldered joint can become loose.

--
    I looked and seen the KLT160 DOES NOT have a DC system.

That's going to limit the programmable CDIs available. There's a German manufacturer that makes one, but I'll have to look for them.

Here's one that can be run fully AC with an adapter, or, it could run on a battery with the AC stator and no adapters.

This used to be sold through a scooter online store (scrappy dogz?) but I don't think it is anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROGCDI-R3-...YAAOSwtkFfWjmr
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	266986

Here's their adapter so you don't need a battery.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROGCDI-CDI...75.c101224.m-1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	266987

For a little more than $200, you could have a programmable CDI setup that doesn't need a battery.

Another CDI source. These are a little more involved though and the programmable ones will require a computer.
    https://www.ignitech.cz/en/
    Last edited by ATC King; 03-07-2021 at 01:08 PM.

--
    Thanks for links and information ATC King.
    I found a gentleman with a running klt160 and had him check his CDI. His black/white-red circuit also was shorted yet his machine runs. He did say it does die randomly and he hasn’t had much luck fixing it. I’ll have to diagnose other components of the ignition system to double check and verify the CDI is the culprit.
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    I helped my sons friend with his 1985 honda fourtrax 250 atv. I was watching some videos on YouTube from Harvey Spooner, he takes pit bike ignition and makes them run on anything!. The old honda was an ac system but we didn't use that wire. We only used the pulse generator wire (usually blue with white tracer) . His bike has a battery so we powered it from his existing 12v system. I bought the pit bike harness with ac cdi (not used) and bought a dc cdi that fits harness and hooked to honda coil and he bent riding it for like 2 years now. I told him to buy a spare cdi cause its cheap. I think whole setup was under $30. Watch his videos he explains it much better. I put lighting coil in my kids z50 and also put lights with rectifier/regulator for night rides when we're camping. All from his videos. Worth a shot on the kawi...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineymudder View Post
    The old honda was an ac system but we didn't use that wire. We only used the pulse generator wire (usually blue with white tracer) . His bike has a battery so we powered it from his existing 12v system. I bought the pit bike harness with ac cdi (not used) and bought a dc cdi that fits harness and hooked to honda coil...
    Just an FYI, the DC CDIs are actually AC, they just have a inverter built in, and that's also why they're more failure prone.

It's even possible to use a GM HEI module and coil on a trike, if there's a 12v DC source. I've done it. It's simple and works, but is a little cumbersome.

--
    f76, I ordered one of those PROGCID R3.2 CDIs, and will do a thread on it when sorted. It'll be on my 200ES though, which has a battery. Your application would required the addition of the adapter I posted early.

--
    f76, I got that programmable CDI in and have it up and running. A little different than what your setup would be, but it's still an option.

I started a thread:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...30#post1520230

--
    Thanks for the information ATC King!
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //