//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Suspension help needed

--

Suspension help needed

Looking to get the suspension set up on the YZ450F conversion trike I bought. I know sag is important on a dirt bike but from what I've read about ATV's it seems the preload is adjusted more importantly to set the ride height. Any suggestions on a good baseline set up for a 3 wheeler? It seems my sag is waaay to much (like over 5"." I measured from the grab bar to the ground and from most advice I've read 30% of the suspension travel is the goal. I'm guessing I have about 10" overall but not really sure. Also wouldn't where you measure the sag make a difference? The farther back you measure the greater the distance as its further from the pivot point? I'm 170 lbs and not sure if the shock/spring is from the dirtbike or the quad but it is stock. I haven't measured the ride height yet which I've read should be about 8" on a quad. Figure I'd try and get some advice before monkeying around with it too much. Anyone with a conversion have input? Maybe Bob Marlin? Thanks Guys! Oh and I like to do MX style riding. Thanks again!
    In the garage
    2007 Yamaha Tri-Z 450
    2017 YZ 250F
    2003 XR100 (son's)
    2005 Raptor 350 (other son's)

Gone but not forgotten
    86 350X
    16 WR 250R
    03 FZ1
    96 Katana 600
    89 XT350
    84 250R
    84 200X
    79 ATC 110
    74 ATC 90

--
    Setup for bike or trike should be similar enough unless you’re a pro level rider like Travis Pastrana or Barnett468.

Just remember that link and non-link setups vary a little like they do for chain tension settings. You should be able to find some good YouTube videos on the subject. I’m no expert, but I’ve never heard of measuring at the grab bar. You want to be as close to the vertical center of your axle as possible.

Keep in mind that if your swing-arm has been lengthened or shortened from whatever the shock originated from originally it can drastically change what you need for a shock spring and damping.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //