//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honda 185s help

--

Honda 185s help

Hello, first post here! Need help from you experts. I have a Honda 185s in great condition (dad has had it since about 1980 and gave it to me), but just recently it won't start/turn over. If I take off the air filter and shoot some ether/starting fluid in, it pops right off and runs. Then after 2-3 days of sitting it wont start from the pull start again.

I don't know much about these internally or anything, but am willing to try to fix it. My first guess is something in the ignition system. Thoughts please and help. Appreciate it!

Also, I tried to remove the CDI plate to look at the ignition parts. One of those screws will absolutely not break loose on the cover. It is starting to strip. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by murphy1287; 03-07-2021 at 03:10 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy1287 View Post
    Hello, first post here! Need help from you experts. I have a Honda 185s in great condition (dad has had it since about 1980 and gave it to me), but just recently it won't start/turn over. If I take off the air filter and shoot some ether/starting fluid in, it pops right off and runs. Then after 2-3 days of sitting it wont start from the pull start again.

I don't know much about these internally or anything, but am willing to try to fix it. My first guess is something in the ignition system. Thoughts please and help. Appreciate it!

Also, I tried to remove the CDI plate to look at the ignition parts. One of those screws will absolutely not break loose on the cover. It is starting to strip. Any recommendations?
    Why would you think it’s ignition when it starts with starting fluid? It’s obviously getting spark. Maybe start by cleaning your carb and petcock filter if it has one.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    I would also recommend checking your valve clearances. When it's running, do you put the air filter back on? Will it pull start after it's running with the air filter on?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    Why would you think it’s ignition when it starts with starting fluid? It’s obviously getting spark. Maybe start by cleaning your carb and petcock filter if it has one.
    Was just thinking it was the points. I have an extreme noob when it comes these bikes. Have never taken anything apart engine wise. But, I am certainly willing to try to get it working well again. Any write up on getting the carb off?

--
    Yes, I put the filter back on it keeps running and seems like it runs good. If i stop it, it will pull start immediately after I have been riding it.

--

My 185 was a bear to start, after 30 pulls it would go, son in law found out from mechanic that what you do is loosen the drain screw on carburetor bowl, drain for about 35 seconds , this is with gas peacock turned on and cap turned on , you'll get a little puddle on the floor, tighten screw back up , put on choke, it starts first or second pull everytime for me now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

--
    Was just thinking it was the points. I have an extreme noob when it comes these bikes. Have never taken anything apart engine wise. But, I am certainly willing to try to get it working well again. Any write up on getting the carb off?

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    first off the 185 doesn't have points, and the cdi cover you were trying to pull leads to the pulse generator, not the cdi. you will need to use a manual impact to remove the stuck screw. I personally would start with draining the fuel and cleaning the carb and petcock filters. It sounds to me more like there is some water in the fuel more than anything else other than a dirty carb, and please before you pull the carb apart search on here some of the posts on carb cleaning.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Will do. Usually after sitting every winter, my dad said he always was have to drain the gas, put in new gas and it always fired right up. He just put a new fuel filter on it less than 1 yr ago. My guess is the carb has never been cleaned. Talked with my dad and he said he knows it hasn't been cleaned in last 30 years. I guess I will start there. Also, petcock filter was recently replaced as fuel started leaking out of it. So that is new as well.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3wheelerPIC.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	267013

Well, rolled her out of the garage today. Continued to pull on her to try to get her to turn over. After maybe the 35th try, she sputtered. About 5 more tries and she ripped off. Lots and lots of smoke came out as i revved it up. Took her up and down the street a bunch to get things moving. Since a brand new carb is cheap..maybe just toss on a new one and see if that's what was causing the problem?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    I'm not experienced with working on these. But on a different note, I am from Davenport as well.

--
    Most people say that they don't have very good luck with the cheap, Chinese carbs. Some do only after they switch all of the internals from their OEM carb to the cheap one. I've seen some people claim that theirs runs great right from the box, but I tend to doubt that. Whatever you do, don't throw away the OEM carb so that you can put it back on if the cheap one doesn't work out for you.

--
    I'm not experienced with working on these. But on a different note, I am from Davenport as well.
    You’re location says Georgia I’m in Iowa.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3wheelerPIC.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	267013

Well, rolled her out of the garage today. Continued to pull on her to try to get her to turn over. After maybe the 35th try, she sputtered. About 5 more tries and she ripped off. Lots and lots of smoke came out as i revved it up. Took her up and down the street a bunch to get things moving. Since a brand new carb is cheap..maybe just toss on a new one and see if that's what was causing the problem?
    Rebuild the carb you have. Cheap carbs Will give you nothing but fits.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    I said "from".

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //