//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 70 parts and tank cleaning

--

ATC 70 parts and tank cleaning

Will this type of air filter work ok on an atc 70 if the oem is missing. Where is the best place for carb parts for atc's . Also being new to this sight, Im not familiar with navigating it. Is there a certain place to find find or list parts for sale and is it broken down into models ?
    Does anyone have links to cleaning rusty tanks. I've seen lots of posts on honda hoarders but I don't think there is a way to search that group.
    Looking at buying an atc 70 I found and it has a few issues ; has a chinese carb on it but oem included ,so would want to get that cleaned and see if anything is missing, no airbox and need to get it running..
    any input is apreciated..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-Air-Fi....c101196.m2219

--
    From what I understand, those filters usually don't filter very well so you'd be sucking a lot of dirt into your engine. A foam filter is better to use. As for parts, look at the "ATV Classifieds" sub forum.

--
    First off Welcome to the site. Yes that filter will probably bolt on but you'll have problems tuning it. Do yourself a favor and buy a oem stock filter canister assembly. Being your a new member you don't have access to the classified section, look at the rules. Apple cider vinegar is one way to remove rust in a tank, search the site as there are other options too. Good luck and watch out they tend too multiply....

"HJ" Name:  oldfogey.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  1.2 KB
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    On the tank cleaning: the vinegar is very effective way. I also just got done doing a tank with Evaporust. You can get a gallon at some local stores, or on Amazon. Amazon has it for about 15-20 bucks.

It takes a few days but really does eliminate the rust. Nice thing is you save it when you're done. It keeps working for a long time until you've finally removed as much rust as it can. So always dump it back into the bottle for reuse.

With the evaporust, it is PH neutral (meaning it isn't an acid or alkaline) so it won't eat away the metal. It only eliminates the rust. The vinegar is way cheaper and just as effective, but you want to make sure to use some baking soda and water to neutralize any acid once you're done.

Regarding the air filter:
    If you decide to use it, the key with those types of filters (actually all the filters we use on ATVs) is that they need to be oiled to be effective. The small dust will pass through the weave of the fabric gauze. Oiling them creates a sticky surface that will grab the dust. I'm with the others though, I really don't like those style filters (K&N filters included) and much prefer the foam filters. Oil the foam filters with 80/90 gear oil and you're good to go with great protetction.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Yes they are multiplying rather quickly. Started with my 200 s that was in the corner of my garage for 10 yrs . Got that running new years eve then bought an 84 200 es and now an 84 70 atc. Yes I see those filters are not the best idea. I will keep my eye open for oem and maybe get a better foam aftermarket in the mean time. Any recommendations ? I can't see this 70 getting used much until my grandson is a couple years older.

Has anyone tried to take apart the petcock on the 70. It is riveted together. mine won't seal when it's in the off position. It bypasses. For now I have used the chinese shutoff on the oem carb.. Still dripping out the overflow on the carb ,think I need a new needle, so these little carbs don't have replaceable seats for the needle I see.Hopefully a new needle will help. runs ok but doesn't stay idling. I have the idle adjustment screw all the way in and the revs seem a bit high but still won't stay running. I am pretty good at cleaning carbs and have got every hole clean I believe . I use small # drills 60-80 for the small holes in the jets. I need to take it apart and see if it has the correct jets in it . if I can't read the #'s I will have to buy new ones. The one they refer to on partzilla as the slow jet (long one with cross holes) seems to have a large center hole compared to the one that was in my 200. It says it calls for a # 38. Does anyone have a chart that tells you actual sizes in thousands of an inch. I can measure the jets with # drills if I can't read the size on them..

Where can I buy oem kiehn carb parts . They list the low jet at 15$ and high jet and needle not available.
    Last edited by feartheride; 03-15-2021 at 07:06 PM.

--
    Best thing I found for rusty tanks Is the cheap "works" toilet bowl cleaner from wall mart. Put about a quarter of it in the tank and let it sit for 2 min then roll it around to get the rest of the tank and let it sit for 2-3 min. Dump it out and stick a pressure washer in the filler hole and wash it out, move it around the best you can. They usually come out looking like new.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    How about best place to find manuals on line free or buy digital copies.
    I DID FIND A LINK ON HERE AT OSCARMAYER.NET seems to have a few manuals
    Last edited by feartheride; 04-04-2021 at 02:11 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by feartheride View Post
    How about best place to find manuals on line free or buy digital copies.
    I DID FIND A LINK ON HERE AT OSCARMAYER.NET seems to have a few manuals
    I just found this the other day…

https://threewheelermanuals.com/honda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    You could live with a petcock that doesn't need to be shut off if your carb float was working correctly..not a great solution but....? For the carb seat, I put a bit of polishing compound on a q-tip which is cut in half and then put it in my drill. I then polish the seat up and replace the needle, it's worked every time for me. I suggest getting a Shindy carb kit and going from there. I also make sure the float is free of all rust, scale and varnish....got to keep the buoyancy in check. Also atc70.com has some cool stuff for your little beast if you want to pimp it out. Hopefully you're comfortable with eBay purchases because finding parts that aren't available from the dealer can be a challenge unless you know of a source. I'll be down in Niagara in October and looking for excuses to go out if you're still having issues.

I use www.servicehonda.com to research my part numbers before I start looking for stuff. It will also tell you if it's still available at the dealer and gives an approx cost in US$ to go by.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324258266762...EAAOSw4OFepD5W
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool