//ArrowChat Code

Thread: honda 2 piece split bolt together wheels

--

honda 2 piece split bolt together wheels

Question about you who have Honda machines with those 2 piece split rims that bolt together...do you have to run inner tubes in them for them to maintain air pressure?

Secondly, Honda only had that style rims in 7 inch and 8 inch diameters? I have several of these wheels in decent shape and I had an interested buyer who wanted to know the size they were. Some 3 lug others 4 lug. I know the 70 had 7 inch and the best 90, 110, 125, 185 & 200 all had 8 inch.

Thank you...

--
    There's an O-ring between the halves. No, they don't need tubes.

I've been running the two piece wheels for decades and they hold air just as well as any other tubeless wheel. I like the way they look, but don't care too much for the placement of the valve stem. It's kind of hard to get to.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    They also made them in 9" diameter.

--
    I was told by my dealer that once you take them apart and break the seal, you have to tube them. Thats why I have several 8 inch tubes here in my garage. I tried using duct tape to hold the center gasket but it leaked. Tried silicone on the gasket and it leaked. I even tried using an old inner tube cut to a gasket and it still leaked. The leak was slow, usually about a week and it would be flat.

To make matters worse, no local power sports dealer will handle the split rims. They offered me new steel wheels at 50 bucks a piece. However the offset of the wheels will not work on the front. I think the bold pattern is 3/90 or 4/130.

So I do all my tire stuff by myself in my garage. Had to break one down today to patch the tube.

--
    Any time I change a tire, or break them down, I use a new O-ring.

With modern tire sealants, there's very seldom a reason to break one down except to replace the tire.

There's no need to even try having a tire shop replace a tire on them. They don't have a drop center and any uneducated tire tech would potentially destroy one while trying to remove a tire with a machine. The halves have to be unbolted. There's no other way to do it.

When bolting the halves back together, it needs to be done evenly, to prevent squirting out the O-ring to one side. There's a channel it's supposed to seal in.

If the halves are good, and don't have rust pits, a new O-ring will seal them tight. I've never had a single problem with the OEM Honda two piece wheels sealing. Not one single problem, ever. That's the true true.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    here is a photo of what my wheels are. I wish I knew the bolt pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0495.jpeg  

--
    Those are 4/130 bolt pattern. Use new metric size O-ring to seal. Check bolt holes for flatness.

"HJ" Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldfogey.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	267070
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Could just weld the halfs together and not worry about anything. Powder coat them and your golden. I did thst to a set.

--
    I never had a leak problem myself with split rims. I just make sure the inside surface of the wheel is like brand new (no rust, no bumps, no holes, nice paint, etc) before reassembling it. If it isn't I clean, scrape, and paint. And use a new o-ring each time.

Much easier and slicker than dealing with tubes, but that's just my .02.
    I may be old, but I still enjoy the feeling
    of the earth rotating beneath my wheels

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //