//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Predator Swap

--

Predator Swap

Curious about "predator" swap in trikes - anyone attempt? Online I've seen a few quads done...

I have an 86 trx 70... and got an Honda gx160 laid in the frame with torque convertor .... kind of fits... but I haven't bolted anything down.

I also wanted to try to out in a go-kart reverse box ..

The motor fits better when the head is to the front, but then the shaft is on the other side and turning the wrong way. I can swap the axle sprocket side, but could also make a jack shaft and bring the drive sprocket to the left side , and then drive the reverse box and drive the axle. This fits ok.. but then the air filter and exhaust kinda sketchy with the stock plastics...... anyhoooo

I might just get a chinese bolt-in for the trx, then thought maybe the gx160 can be put in a roller trike...

Anyone seen it? How do the ebay torque-convertors perform? With the gx style motors in a 110/125 would need to make a subframe below the motor..

pcs is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    ive seen a few of the chinese off brand engine swap that are almost bolt in and go. the piranha 140 makes any little 70/90/110 turn into a wheelie monster. the intake manifolds are the issue depending on the chassis. as for the torque converter maybe someone else has played with those.
    Team Blue: 85 Tri-z 250: under the knife
    Team Red: 87 Trx250r 01Cr80 15 CBR600RR
    Team Yellow: 06 Ltr450 11 Hayabusa

--
    I've seen several attempts, it usually involves ruining a perfectly good frame. They can be found in your local classifieds, usually unfinished, usually with a price that matches an unmolested one.

The go-kart type torque converters are bulky, not real sure where you'd put one without having it in the way of your feet. The 50/70 style clone engines are the go-to for a reason, they work. I understand using what you've got on hand, but is it really worth the effort to put a square peg in a round hole?
    Hoarder of the finest junk

'82 YT175
    '83 YTM200
    '85 KLT110
    '86 Moto 4 225
    '84 TRX200 trike conversion.
    '87 Tecate 4
    Lots of vintage and not so vintage two wheeled stuff.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //