//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 200es Fork Replacement?

--

200es Fork Replacement?

Still working on getting my 200es running right but I happened to check the forks and it doesn't seem like they're doing what they're supposed to as far as suspension. I heard 200m forks will work on it, but I really want to keep my front rack and I don't think the 200m has the mounts for it. Is it possible to swap just the suspension part and keep the original forks themselves or is there anything I should look into?

--
    Closest thing possible is a 200M fork, with mounts welded onto if for the rack and headlight bracket/guard.

There were bolt-on racks available for the 200M fork, but finding one, and for a decent price is going to be very difficult.

Unless you can purchase an entire 200M, strip the front end then sell the rest, it's still going to be expensive. All parts prices have gone through the roof. It may be just as easy to find a complete 250ES front end for the same or less cost. Those will fit too, but may take some finagling with the stem bearings, IDK.

It's a little late now, but anyone looking at purchasing a 200E/ES needs to really check the forks. 9/10, they're junk and seized. It's the biggest problem with that model and there's no easy or inexpensive way to repair or replace them.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Closest thing possible is a 200M fork, with mounts welded onto if for the rack and headlight bracket/guard.

There were bolt-on racks available for the 200M fork, but finding one, and for a decent price is going to be very difficult.

Unless you can purchase an entire 200M, strip the front end then sell the rest, it's still going to be expensive. All parts prices have gone through the roof. It may be just as easy to find a complete 250ES front end for the same or less cost. Those will fit too, but may take some finagling with the stem bearings, IDK.

It's a little late now, but anyone looking at purchasing a 200E/ES needs to really check the forks. 9/10, they're junk and seized. It's the biggest problem with that model and there's no easy or inexpensive way to repair or replace them.
    Yeah, I found that out myself. I bought an '84 ES to fix up for my buddies son about 2 years ago. Not knowing the forks were an issue, I purchased new bushings and figured I could "clean up" the rusty chrome on the right fork. Turns out, it was seized and I ruined the left side by trying to get it apart; never did get the right side apart. I used PB Blaster, heat and a BFH to no avail. Researched and found out about the 200M forks, purchased a good, used set off eBay but then found out I can't use the larger 25" ES tire or new front fender (that I already purchased). And now it sits, waiting for me to finish it...

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

--
    the 200m came with the larger 25 inch tire, are you sure someone didn't sell you a 200s front end ?
    the 200m is the perfect replacement for the 200es. please show us some pictures.
    MrC
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    the 200m came with the larger 25 inch tire, are you sure someone didn't sell you a 200s front end ?
    the 200m is the perfect replacement for the 200es. please show us some pictures.
    MrC
    Crap, it is a 200s! Any demand out there for them? Spent big $$$ on it too!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by red_russian1 View Post
    Crap, it is a 200s! Any demand out there for them? Spent big $$$ on it too!

There's a lot of used ATC parts being sold on eBay where the seller doesn't know squat and evidently didn't take the time to research anything before selling. A lot of condition descriptions are way off too. A lot of junk being described as good/great condition, some of it appearing to be done purposefully.

The 200M upper part has the upper clamp bolt BELOW the cross brace. The 185S/200S one has the bolt in line with it. The lower is not the same either. 200M has a leading axle and 185S/200S is trailing. Obviously the width is different. Totally different, but that doesn't stop ignorant sellers from listing 185S/200S forks as 200M, and vice versa. I got a deal on some 200M forks listed as 200S. A buyer just needs to know what is what, and look through every single auction/sale with a generic search word, like just ATC fork.

185S/200S forks can be used, if the owner doesn't mind it being a couple inches shorter up front, or need the rack. The sterring stops will need built up, to keep the top part from hitting the 200E/ES fuel tank. The offset is different and the Big Red tank is a little larger.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Still working on getting my 200es running right but I happened to check the forks and it doesn't seem like they're doing what they're supposed to as far as suspension. I heard 200m forks will work on it, but I really want to keep my front rack and I don't think the 200m has the mounts for it. Is it possible to swap just the suspension part and keep the original forks themselves or is there anything I should look into?
    Sorry for hijacking your thread...

--
    I don't think you highjacked the thread.

Most of this has been covered adnauseam, but if someone stepped into a new-to-them 200E/ES without first knowing, they'll need all the info they can get. A lot of forks will fit with some spacers, bushings, machine work, welding, or a custom steering stem, but there aren't so many choices for something that's essentially bolt-on. None of it is inexpensive to do or buy though, considering used part prices right now. A $500 trike bargain can quickly turn into $800 if an entire front end is needed.

It's best to definitely do something, other than just ride. The two common scenarios are they actually compress during a hard hit while riding, and stick there (seen that one myself) or the internals break and the lowers fall off, like during a wheelie or crossing over a log. Neither one is good.

There needs to be a sticky with links to all these Big Red fork threads.

--
    Can the 200s fork tubes be used on a 200m upper tree? I have seen a couple of trees on eBay this afternoon for about $120...Then just transfer the mounts over for the rack and headlight?
    1st couple pics are of the 200s forks that I paid $250 for 2 years ago. The next pics are of the trees on eBay.

--
    Yes, the 200S forks will work in the 200M tree. They're trailing instead of leading axle though. If anything, the tire may rub the fender during full compression, or it may not at all. I haven't used that combination. The 200M/ES front hub and axle will have to be used.

I did use a 200S fork on a 200ES for years, with the 200ES front hub and wheel. The hub was narrowed to fit into the 200S forks. The tire did rub pretty bad with that combination though.

--
    Your next issue will the be the 200s axle will be too short for the 200m fork spread.
    Those are a nice set of 200s forks.
    You can use the 200s front end, it will work fine, only issue, you would buy a tire (say 25 inch) for a 8 inch rim instead of a 9in.
    you would then have 25x9 on the rear and 25x8 on the front. if you wanted the same size tire all round. also not every tread pattern is offered in every size.
    so that may limit you or you can just run a different pattern on the front just like the sport bikes

MrC.

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Yeah, I had already bought a couple used 22x11x8 tire/rim combos because I couldn't get the stock 25" tire between the forks. But the smaller 22" tire just looks goofy so that's where I let things sit for the past few years. The other issue was that I purchased a set of new fiberglass fenders but the front won't fit between the 200s triples. That's why I thought I'd look into seeing if they'd be compatible and maybe pickup a cheap upper. I'd actually be better off/money ahead probably to sell the 200s forks and see if I could find a 200m but I haven't found any complete sets yet, just parts/pieces.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    Your next issue will the be the 200s axle will be too short for the 200m fork spread.
    Those are a nice set of 200s forks.
    You can use the 200s front end, it will work fine, only issue, you would buy a tire (say 25 inch) for a 8 inch rim instead of a 9in.
    you would then have 25x9 on the rear and 25x8 on the front. if you wanted the same size tire all round. also not every tread pattern is offered in every size.
    so that may limit you or you can just run a different pattern on the front just like the sport bikes

MrC.
    Can you even find a 25" tire for a 8" rim?

--
    Some of the Kawasaki utility trikes had a smaller front tire and larger rear tires. Not a big deal other than looks.

You may as well try the 200S forks with a 200M triple. You've already got them. Use the Big Red 9" wheel, front hub, and whatever brake plate and spacer you need, plus a 200M axle. The only difference is the 200S forks are trailing axle.

The 200M triple is going to give about another 1" of clearance between the tire and fender.

If you don't have a 200M fender, that's actually the biggest hurdle, because they're not available new and used ones that aren't a POS are hard to find for reasonable price. You CAN make the Big Red fender fit, with some home made brackets.

Once you get it all sorted out, if you find the actual 200M forks (the lower squishy parts), just swap those in and sell the 200S ones. It'll be a direct swap at that point.

All of it really isn't a big deal, it's just not breaking the bank that's hard. There are quite a few 250ES parts trikes out there, if you could find one with an entire front end. That's the best way to do it on a budget, and you'll get a larger front brake to boot.

Otherwise, stick with the 200M plan.

--
    Hey king, are you saying a 250es front end will bolt onto a 200es or 2003 or 200m frame?

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //