//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1983 YTM 200k Oil

--

1983 YTM 200k Oil

What oil should I use for my 1983 200k. Some manuals are saying 20w-40 and some say different.

--
    Look again in the manual. The weight is generally for a certain temperature spread and the weights for different temps should be listed.

Also, the bigger the gap in oil weight. 15w-40 vs 20w-40, means more viscosity modifiers to make that happen, which in general, can mean the oil will break down quicker as the viscosity modifiers are used up, mainly through the shearing action of the transmission gears. Something car engines don't have to deal with, but unified motorcycle/ATV engines/transmissions do.

And............................................... that is way overthinking it. Rotella 15w-40 is what a whole lot of people use, including myself. It supposedly has more zinc that most other oils currently on shelves, and that's to protect the camshaft and lifters in these trike engines.

I still use Rotella in my other trikes, but switched to Yamalube 20w-40 in my YTM, because it doesn't burn oil and the Yamalube was only ~$4.50 per quart. Walmart typically has Valvoline and Castrol motorcycle/ATV oils on the shelf too. I've used both of those as well. Really, any quality oil in the correct weight is fine.

Just try to stay away from regular automotive oils, as those have friction modifiers that may make the wet clutches slip.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thank you. One more question, what type of oil filter do I need to get for it?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //