//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 200es big red dart issues

--

84 200es big red dart issues

That’s supposed to say START issues. Hey guys, new to the forum here, I picked up an 84 200es and am in the process of getting it squared away. I’m having an issue with the starting system. I’ve got power through the solenoid to the starter but when I hit the push start button the solenoid clicks and I get nothing. Swapped solenoids with a known good one and same thing happens. Any help guys? I’m not the best with electrical but I can figure some stuff out.

--
    Try using jumper cables to put power directly to the stud on your starter. If nothing happens, then your starter is bad.

--
    Thank you sir, I’ll try that after work today. I tried crossing it but couldn’t get anything but I’ll put power straight to it and see what happens.

--
    I had a couple of these that were stuck, jumping power directly to the starter still nothing, a few whacks with a rubber mallet and the starter started to spin. Of course thing means pulling the starter and cleaning it out and doing a full rebuild on it, all the parts are available, a rebuild kit for these starters costs about $20. I just rebuilt the one on my 200ES this year, was getting pretty lazy turning over, sometimes it would turn a few turns then just stall out and you had to use the decompression lever to let the starter spin up the motor enough to get it going. After rebuild i don't even need the decomp lever and it spins it over quick, thought it was the battery at first, replaced the battery and still the same. I should do a write-up on rebuilding these starters, i have done at least a dozen or so of them now.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Mine did the same thing, jumping it and putting power straight to it I got nothing. I took it off and opened it up and it was rusted as all get out inside and a couple contact wires inside had broke off. I cleaned it up as good as I could, ordered a rebuild kit and soldered the broke wires back in place. That thing spins over like brand new now, starts up right away. The only issue I have now is finding an exhaust for it, what’s on it now is a homemade pieced together straight pipe haha, my wife doesn’t like it.

--
    You got two options, get a DG RCM replacement exhaust spendy but they sound soooo nice, or an EXSound slip on muffler that retains the original head pipe. Denniskirk carries both options for it. There is the MBRPP slide on muffler to, but side by side with the EXSound ones they look the same in person, i think its just a branding thing. Again neither option is cheap, but they work better then a rusted out original or a straight pipe... lol
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //