//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ford 300 4.9 3" Inch Exhaust

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I have nearly all the pieces accumulated and ready to rebuild the entire drivetrain, fuel system, suspension, and brakes in my 79. Trying to decide on chassis exit or fenderwell exit headers.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Fenderwell and using side pipes?

I found a spring shop in Detrioit that seems to be a good choice for when I replace the rear springs on mine. They have original OE blueprints and build to exact or custom specs.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

I'm not buying generic springs again. I've already been there on another vehicle.

As far as 300 performance stuff, check out this crank scraper. https://crank-scrapers.com/Ford_straight_six.html

No idea if it'll do anything below the lowly six's max RPM, if anything at all, but it's gotta add at least much power as a NOS sticker on the back glass.

Something interesting with at least he Chevy 292 and Ford 300 was they also came in industrial versions with forged cranks and some other goodies. I've been told the 2ton truck versions had 7qt oil pans. Some 292 blocks made in Mexico supposedly have a stronger/longer wearing iron alloy (I guess like the big Caddy V8s). My 292 came from a Massey Ferguson soy bean combine; pulled it myself.

The Ford and Jeep US versions got fuel injection before the end. The South American Chevy 250 got fuel injection. Then there's the Australian variants of the US sixes, with more power. I think Dodge done a performance version of their slant six, which may have just been some tuning adjustments or slightly higher compression. Of course, the very first Corvettes had an inline six (shhhh, don't tell anyone LOL).
    The story of three wheels and a man...

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Ironchop, I don't know how to post pics and I'm on an IPad. Specht mite have a pic of my bucket truck?? If not, I know Fabio does. I have a flip phone and don't take many pictures lol.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    ATC king, the droning from your exhaust is called "resonance". A way to get rid of that is using a resonator, also known as a glass pack.

Throw up some pics please

Kiser's bucket truck-

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    That's a sweet truck Kiser!

I actually like that style grille better than one on my 79. I have a nice 77 grille assembly I'd like to put on mine

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    That's a sweet truck Kiser!

I actually like that style grille better than one on my 79. I have a nice 77 grille assembly I'd like to put on mine

I like the 73-77 grills better myself.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I got those same wheels except mine are matte black

--
    Thanks! It needs a lil love but I'll get it where it needs to be eventually. I put the tire/wheel combo on it but it needs lifted, the front rub when at full lock. I talked to a local spring shop about a 4" lift and plan to have them build me a new set of front and rears to support the weight and sway of a bucket truck. I need to address some wiring issues, upgrade the steering to 78-79 style and a blown exhaust manifold gasket but after that it should be ready to work! The ol' 360 purrs like a kitten!

--
    Oh, and matching mirrors, that stress's me out lol!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kiser View Post
    Thanks! It needs a lil love but I'll get it where it needs to be eventually. I put the tire/wheel combo on it but it needs lifted, the front rub when at full lock. I talked to a local spring shop about a 4" lift and plan to have them build me a new set of front and rears to support the weight and sway of a bucket truck. I need to address some wiring issues, upgrade the steering to 78-79 style and a blown exhaust manifold gasket but after that it should be ready to work! The ol' 360 purrs like a kitten!
    I ended up just buying a whole new complete replacement wiring harness. I can't recall who makes it, but it was updated fuse panel and everything else except the AC pigtails. $800-ish and I got it from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. I kind of went on a shopping spree up in there and L&L Products website both.

I'm going to use the neighbors tractor to pull the motor and trans out together this weekend. The doghouse is off. Still waiting on the short block inbound. It's got a passenger car 460 in it now, so if that truck block doesn't get here soon, I'll pull the car motor down to the shop and get it reworked and call them to get my money back on the other. I've got to get a fifth wheel from my buddy's house over to mine and not having my truck running is screwing up those plans.

I believe Bronco Graveyard had +4" rear leafs available last I looked. I got +6" leaves and +7" coils for the front(edit: nvmnd, I just noticed you got the bucket so you need custom springs). Undecided on shocks. Tires are Nankang Mudstars. I think they come out to 32-33" when you convert (305/70R 16) from metric. I had 37s on it before but those things are crazy expensive to replace and last about 8 months in a daily driver

I have everything to rebuild the T18 4spd so I think I might start on that while I'm waiting on the motor

--
    Let's see some pics of that ol girl! This thread took a hard right from a well tuned 300 to a full blown Ford truck chat group lol!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    ATC king, the droning from your exhaust is called "resonance". A way to get rid of that is using a resonator, also known as a glass pack.
    There's also J-pipes. Check those out if you haven't heard of them and the principle they work on. Since mine was a straight exhaust (after the cat), the Supertrapp discs solved my problem. They're also a USFS Approved spark arrestor, for whatever that's worth in an automotive application.

Kiser's bucket truck-

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    That's a proper hunting truck. The color is even right. Need a blind on the bucket though.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kiser View Post
    I put the tire/wheel combo on it but it needs lifted, the front rub when at full lock.
    You could easily cut the fenders, but there is a ton of aftermarket off-road front fenders in fiberglass that have more room for larger tires. There's also entire front clips that tilt. A whole lot of Baja type fiberglass pieces are available for these trucks, and are relatively affordable. If it doesn't already have a HD anit-sway bar for the rear, that would help a lot, without the need for higher arched springs. There's also rubber type load handlers and air bags. Not that it wouldn't look cool higher up, but for the same or less, the ride height could remain relatively unchanged, but solve the issues you have.

Maybe with the bucket, shorter shocks, or travel limiting devices would work well too, unless you plan to twist it in rock crawling fashion.

--
    It sits really low in the rear compared to the front and the ends of the front springs look like knives. The OEM springs weren't made to handle the constant weight of the bucket, they are just plain worn out but I want it jacked up anyway. A real heavy duty rear sway bar would be very beneficial with a stiff deck of springs!

--
    If you want it raised anyway, then custom springs are the best option.

As far as the front springs looking "like knives," many of them have a taper and diamond cut from the factory, which makes them less likely to break and gives a better ride.

Unless you plan on regularly pulling a heavy trailer with it, the bucket weight is the main concern, which makes it simpler when considering springs.

It's an awesome truck in any regard. There's not really such a thing as a smooth riding work truck, which is why 18 wheelers have air-ride seats, even when the truck and trailer already have air-ride suspension. A passenger in the standard (non air-ride) seat can attest to that.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    If you want it raised anyway, then custom springs are the best option.

As far as the front springs looking "like knives," many of them have a taper and diamond cut from the factory, which makes them less likely to break and gives a better ride.

Unless you plan on regularly pulling a heavy trailer with it, the bucket weight is the main concern, which makes it simpler when considering springs.

It's an awesome truck in any regard. There's not really such a thing as a smooth riding work truck, which is why 18 wheelers have air-ride seats, even when the truck and trailer already have air-ride suspension. A passenger in the standard (non air-ride) seat can attest to that.
    There are airbag kits for these Dentside trucks on broncograveyard.com to help with towing/heavy loads.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //