//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ford 300 4.9 3" Inch Exhaust

--
    We used to sand drag with a guy that had a rail dragster with a 300 I6 and a turbo. Very fast for what it was. I'm sure you've seen the 300 that had 3, 351c heads cut up and welded up into one head and made to work on the 300 block. A canted valve I6 is about as cool as it gets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Yea I'm not concerned if it rides rough. Actually, if it rides like stock after lifted with heavier springs+bucket weight, I will be happy. If it rides worse, I will have no complaints! Air bags are nice for pulling a trailer but for this, I want it old school, heavy springs and dual shocks. I will never have a trailer hooked to it, the only concern is clearing big tires, sitting level and stiffened up ride.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    There are airbag kits for these Dentside trucks on broncograveyard.com to help with towing/heavy loads.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    Going into one of my wordy replies...

I've spent actual hours researching the available rear suspension additional options. The quality air bag systems, the Roadmaster things, the rubber type devices, like Timbrens, and all manner of things I came across during my researching. I've got experience with the air bags from driving big trucks, so there's nothing too different there as for basic function. I've installed some of those Roadmaster things, but it's been years ago and I don't recall hearing any feedback from the owners. The Timbrens and like seem simple enough, but I bet extreme ambient temperatures really causes wide swings in their performance, like it will with any rubber type product, even the polyurethane stuff (more or less plastic).

They all have advantages and disadvantages. By the end of all I read and watched online, replacing the stock springs with high quality new ones was what I settled on. What I think to be the originals, have unknown, but extremely likely high mileage. Add to that the outright age, and they've certainly lost some umph and ride height since 1979. The other thing is allong the line of what kiser is going through with the bucket truck, but to much less degree on mine. That is I've added an extra amount of permanent weight. The camper shell is quite heavy, more so than more modern fiberglass ones. Replacing the rear fuel tank with a 38 gallon one done some of the same, yet it could be ran lower to lessen weight, that's not why I installed it and the level is to the max as much as possible, except during long driving days when I run it empty then switch to the front one before planning a fuel stop.

There's also the tool box, that carriers spare parts, fluids, and tools, full-time. I have done parking lot repairs and won't be going anywhere without a minimum of shop quality tools for such. Even a clutch replacement isn't out of real practicality on this truck in a parking lot, and a Ford 9" center chunk can certainly be parking lot replaced. I'm not strong enough to remove a complete 300 I6 by hand, but I bet with the front hitch, I could come up with a folding engine crane device.

I also almost always carry a motorcycle on the rear receiver when traveling very far or for an extended time. If for nothing else, a spare means of transport if the pickup stops. I preferer self reliance over AAA, especially in the middle of summer, in a desert, in the middle of nowhere. Not a fan of roadside BBQ, when I'm the meat.

As it is, the truck sits fine. Maybe a barley noticeable amount low with the bike on back, but not much. It does have factory overloads, or at least period ones. Best as I can tell, they're stock or installed new by the dealer. It's another set of springs with a spacer block, on top of the main ones. They don't normally touch the pads on the frame unless loaded enough, but with the camper, fuel tank, and toolbox, they're just barely touching. I replaced the rubber end-pads on the overload springs a couple years back, as the old ones started falling off.

As it stands, I'm going with replacement springs first. Maybe replacement overloads if I can source correct new ones. If that doesn't fulfill my needs when pulling my small double axle camper, then I'll look at additional suspension support. Air bags would be on top of the list, but to do it right, with a powerful compressor and decent sized air tank, and cab controls, the price really gets up there. Then there's installing a dryer, if it's to be done 100% correct and so I won't have problems in freezing temps. It's a catch 22 with air bags in long run. Do it cheap or do it right, problems or cost.

I've also got a whole lot of things I want to upgrade, like to a locking rear axle, some modern gauges, and an A/F gauge. At this rate, it'll never get body work and paint.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I here ya

I already bought new springs front and rear. I like to KISS and I don't want too much extra crap on my truck. I just figured someone else might be interested in bags for their own application

--
    Bags are great for towing, Fabio and Specht have both ran or are currently running them with great results! For my particular situation, heavy springs and shocks are the answer. Not sure if you guys have ever drove a bucket truck but they are heavy and have a TON of sway/lean in cross winds and turns. They definitely take some seat time to get comfy driving compared to a tandem dump truck!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kiser View Post
    Let's see some pics of that ol girl! This thread took a hard right from a well tuned 300 to a full blown Ford truck chat group lol!
    Not much to look at. Been sitting in my driveway for awhile. Doghouse is off and hopefully this weekend I can get the tractor and boom and pull it. Hard to roll an engine hoist on a gravel driveway.

The rest of my wheels came today. Ended up going with American Racing AR172 in matte black

Clint I'm sorry for cluttering up your thread with my junk. I can probably go start a Dentside thread and we can all post in there so you can keep this one specific to 300's. Just say the word, sir

Third pic is that new wiring harness I got in case anyone else is interested, look that up

--

Clint I'm sorry for cluttering up your thread with my junk.
    I'm not seeing any clutter. Carry on.

You guys with the 4x4 ones are sitting on some gold. I think the most popular monster truck ever, started out as one.

--
    Looks like a nice project Ironchop! Gotta love Big Foot, if someone don't, they just aren't a good person!

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Not much to look at. Been sitting in my driveway for awhile. Doghouse is off and hopefully this weekend I can get the tractor and boom and pull it. Hard to roll an engine hoist on a gravel driveway.

The rest of my wheels came today. Ended up going with American Racing AR172 in matte black

Clint I'm sorry for cluttering up your thread with my junk. I can probably go start a Dentside thread and we can all post in there so you can keep this one specific to 300's. Just say the word, sir

Third pic is that new wiring harness I got in case anyone else is interested, look that up

Is that a shortbox?
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Yes it's a shortbox

Last edited by ironchop; 06-16-2021 at 08:17 AM.

--
    I bought one of these 1/64 diecast models to go with mine. They're small enough to put on the dash or hang from the mirror. These particulars ones have the Ford topper like mine, but it does come off if needed.

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/143910365438?epid=15043603482&hash=item2181b9e8fe: g:f68AAOSwColf9t3N

--
    That's a very detailed toy, I like it!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //