//ArrowChat Code

Thread: I'd like your advice or opinions on what I might do with my '85 200M

--

I'd like your advice or opinions on what I might do with my '85 200M

I've had my '85 200M for about 4-5 years. It is in great shape, and all functions work well: lights, starter, etc.
    But, two days ago I was taking it for a slow meander along the crik in search of a dumb trout and the trike let loose a "POP" and died. I checked for dripping fluids, then damaged parts, and finally for compression. No compression with pull starter or electric starter.

To my less than experienced mind, that spells a valve issues. I towed the trike back up to the house. I have no extensive mechanical skills and I'm in my mid-70's on a fixed income. I called the numbers I had for folks who worked on older engines, and to the nearest cycle dealer. Two of the wrenches were no longer available and the cycle shop said they didn't work on Hondas, and even if they did, they wouldn't work on a vehicle that old.

I've got one more call which I might make, but here's the dilemma: Do I put the $ (? $400 or more) in a repair, if I can find someone trustworthy, or should I put the 200M up for sale on Craig's list and start looking for a four wheeler, hoping to be able to find one for my modest needs that I can afford. I'd like to have a reverse gear, but I've coped without one so far

I only use the trike to get down the hill to the mailbox, or loaf through a non-pastured valley near the house in rural Wisconsin. Occasionally, I'll tow a light trailer with refuse over to a neighbor's dumpster. I hesitate to buy someone else's problems in a 4 wheeler. I don't ride hard, nor over tough terrain.

I've got no idea what the damage really is, nor the estimate of the repair cost.

I'd really appreciate your expertise and advice.

Thank you.

Kis

--
    Are you able to remove and ship it or do you prefer to have someone local do the work?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Not able to remove and ship. Need someone somewhat local to whom I can trailer it.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kismet; 05-10-2021 at 06:25 PM.

--
    Anyone?

I'm looking for your experienced opinions.

Thanks.

--
    I guess if I were you... in your situation....and not knowing your budget or income or more importantly not knowing the extent of any engine damage....I guess I would look at it 2 ways.

I would prepare myself for a $1000 dollar repair. It may be more or it may be less but at this point it really is unknown and a $1000 dollar number is very realistic. And even after all that you still have a 36 year old beater that may be in for more repairs in the future. So if you're not totally in love with the 3 wheeler genre maybe a cheap Tao Tao 110 quad new...with reverse might be a good choice. Especially considering what your needs are... And since you can buy them on Amazon for $1100 and whatever shipping is it seems like a good choice for checking mail, running little errands, etc..

That would probably be the choice I would make....good luck.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I guess if I were you... in your situation....and not knowing your budget or income or more importantly not knowing the extent of any engine damage....I guess I would look at it 2 ways.

I would prepare myself for a $1000 dollar repair. It may be more or it may be less but at this point it really is unknown and a $1000 dollar number is very realistic. And even after all that you still have a 36 year old beater that may be in for more repairs in the future. So if you're not totally in love with the 3 wheeler genre maybe a cheap Tao Tao 110 quad new...with reverse might be a good choice. Especially considering what your needs are... And since you can buy them on Amazon for $1100 and whatever shipping is it seems like a good choice for checking mail, running little errands, etc..

That would probably be the choice I would make....good luck.

Thank you, Knappyfeet.

I'm old, so throughout the years I've watched with skepticism the waves of Chinese scooter, cycles, and various motorized products arrive with a fair amount of attention, only to be on the re-sale market, or parts forums, a year or so later. I fear I have a bias against them. I've watched folks try and find service centers for them, only to find out that the sellers didn't service their products. But thank you for the suggestion.

And you're right about a 36 year-old machine, but during my cycle riding years, I ended up preferring decades-old BMW twins to the more mechanically advanced rockets and their progeny. As I've aged, I ask even less of the ATC.

I'll keep looking. If you or anyone else has further suggestions or opinions, I'd welcome them.

Thank you, again.

--
    I know you said your not mechanically inclined , but none of us were until we were. I’d start with one of the tear down service manuals. I like the oem Honda ones. Use it for my 350x all the time. Start reading it before you take it apart. Places like harbor freight are great for tools you don’t plan on using a lot. Take a chance. Maybe you take it apart and can fix it for minimal. Use the forum as a thread for the rebuild. I’m sure people here will help with parts and suggestions at reasonable prices. Worst case scenario you have what they call a basket case bike at the end That’s worth about the same as what you’ve got now , a bike that doesn’t run. Best case you can fix what’s wrong for a few hundred dollars and some hours of your time and you back on three wheels soon enough. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Hey Shawn, Thank you for your input.

When I said I was not mechanically inclined, I actually understated the facts. The good news is that after a lifetime of--let's call them "experiences," I know how extensive my inabilities are. I appreciate your optimism, but it is misplaced in my case.

I appreciate your post.

--

I'd like your advice or opinions on what I might do with my '85 200M

Well at least you know your limits ! I often times bite off more than I can chew but usually make it work. I suppose this is where my optimism comes in. If you can’t find someone to help and again not knowing your budget or situation , I would say try and sell it. My mom had a 250ex Honda , 2003 up until recently. Great bike. No clutch , reverse , electric start. Not a lot of maitnence , and I’m a firm believer with that particular bike if it runs and drives when you bought it , it’s probably ok. Everything is high priced at the moment in Southern California they go for about 2-3k right now. But a great bike for general purpose ranch / trail riding. Good luck I hope you get your trike patched up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    If your 200M is really in 'great shape' (other than the engine), you may be able to sell it for more than you think.

Presuming that happens, I'd suggest taking that money and putting it down on a new TRX250 (Recon), and making payments, or if you have enough stashed back; paying cash.

https://powersports.honda.com/atv/re...ourtrax-recon/

They are excellent quads at a very low price. The biggest drawback is they still use drum brakes, but the front are hydraulic, so it's a very light lever pull to stop. The highlights are the power, which will be noticeably more than your 200M has. The low maintenance shaft drive. Full suspension, and it's very, very smooth. Reverse. Large front and rear racks, with a trunk under the rear rack. Automatic camchain tensioner and a pushrod valvetrain (still manual valve lash adjustment). For a few hundred $ more, the ES (electric shift) model is available.

They don't have a very robust charging system for adding other accessories, but it's just as good as the 200M, and probably a smidge better.

I'd say it has a warranty, but it isn't much, and if your nearest dealer is far away, that's not really a plus. I don't think you'd ever need it though.

A friend of mine bought a couple of these new, and they have plenty of power, ride smooth, and are incredibly low maintenance. Very underrated for the price. I don't think the drum brakes will ever be an issuer for the use you describe, and they're much more powerful than what the 200M has.

I think they're also available in three colors currently. Personally, I like the olive color.

Edit: Looks like beige replaced olive.
    Last edited by ATC King; 05-15-2021 at 11:15 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Gentlemen, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share your thoughts in response to my question. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

I'm working on a Plan A. I'll keep you advised.

Nice of you.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //