//ArrowChat Code

Thread: KLT 200 running issues

--

KLT 200 running issues

I just recently picked up an 82 klt 200 that in very good, very original shape. It’s only missing a few small things, kick start lever, muffler and air box. Other than that it’s all complete minus the tool kit.

When I picked it up none of the fuel lines were plumbed and the guy started it off starting fluid. It ran, not the best but it ran. Get it home and plumb some fuel lines and filter and we got fuel to the carb. Excellent. Tried starting and it kinda ran, but would die and backfire the second you gave throttle and wouldn’t idle unless the choke was half to fully closed. Based off my local moto mechanic, he stated check the intake valve, timing, and clean the carb.

I checked the spark, it was fantastic. So I moved to the carb. It was very clean, fairly recent rebuild but the main jet was numbered 118 but the hole was huge almost like it was drilled. I have no clue what size jet it needs as my service manual hasn’t arrived yet. Other than the jet the carb was fantastic.

I move to timing, the t on the fly wheel was at the mark, and the kz200 was perfectly vertical to the top of head. But what’s the second kz200 for? I’ll take a picture when I can tomorrow. As far as I can tell it’s perfectly timed.

So now valve lash. I didn’t check the exhaust valve but I’ll update that later. The intake valve was set to .006. I have no clue if that’s correct or not, based off fine digging I’ve seen .003-.005 and .004-.007. What is it? The exhaust is set to .004. Is that correct also? The cam lobe looked great too.

What have I missed? It has fuel, has spark, good air in and out. Would fuel octane matter? I did notice somewhere else someone said no air box can cause this but I don’t believe that. Where should I look next? I’ll be able to answer my own questions once the manual gets here but it’s going to be a week. Also if anyone has any of those missing parts let me know.
    Last edited by CLCTX; 05-14-2021 at 05:20 PM.

--
    P.M. me,glad to help out

--
    learning this site,thanks

--
    Pm has been sent

--
    Yes no air box will absolutely effect your air/fuel ratio.

If the main jet looks drilled out, why not start by replacing that.

Checking the jet size and valve lash without a manual or knowing what the proper spec is is a waste of your time…

Try looking here: https://threewheelermanuals.com/honda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by berlow94 View Post
    Yes no air box will absolutely effect your air/fuel ratio.

If the main jet looks drilled out, why not start by replacing that.

Checking the jet size and valve lash without a manual or knowing what the proper spec is is a waste of your time…

Try looking here: https://threewheelermanuals.com/honda

What would you recommend then? I can’t find an air box anywhere. Also I found some info on this forum for an 83 model and it states to have a 105 main and 42 pilot. It still has a 42, but the smallest I could come across was a 112 main. I did order a jet kit with different sizes. Also ordered a manual earlier this week but it’s not here yet. Only reason I went to check the valves was to just make sure they weren’t too tight or too loose. I’m determined to get this thing running good but it’s hard to find some stuff

--
    If I had to guess, I'd say that the main jet was probably drilled out to try to make up for the airbox being MIA. It obviously didn't work very well. The reason why a missing airbox affects the jetting is that the air box is pretty restrictive to the air flow. When you remove it, you are now getting a lot more air flow to the engine. This causes the engine to be running lean. Even running a clamp on style air filter on your carb affects the jetting quite a bit in the same way that no airbox will.

--
    So I guess my next best option is to find an air box. Also, does anyone know a good starter rebuild kit or replacement? I think mine took a deuce and I want to know what to get if it did

--
    While they're probably not the highest quality, I've had good luck with products from DB Electrical. They list a starter for your KLT200 For $75.47 or a rebuild kit for $12.76.

--
    P.m. back,again learning how to navigate this site,thanks

--
    As mentioned above,you are running lean.
    As for a starter-if you are getting the Kawaski motors manual,that book is great to help you out -

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CLCTX View Post
    What would you recommend then? I can’t find an air box anywhere. Also I found some info on this forum for an 83 model and it states to have a 105 main and 42 pilot. It still has a 42, but the smallest I could come across was a 112 main. I did order a jet kit with different sizes. Also ordered a manual earlier this week but it’s not here yet. Only reason I went to check the valves was to just make sure they weren’t too tight or too loose. I’m determined to get this thing running good but it’s hard to find some stuff
    How would you know if the valves are too tight or loose if you don’t have a manual or know what spec they are supposed to be adjusted too?

Click on the link I posted. All the manuals are there.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //