//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Muffler Lid Port

--

Muffler Lid Port

Hey everyone. I'm restoring a 1985 Honda ATC 250SX. It has the original exhaust. I'm just wondering why there is a rectangular hole on the bottom of the muffler that requires a metal plate, a gasket and 2 bolts which strip and/or break easily. A buddy of mine said it's for attachments. What would someone attach to the bottom side of the end of a muffler?

--
    That's the clean-out for the spark arrestor.

It's removed, normal end plugged with something, like a gloved hand, and the engine reved a few times to blow any carbon buildup out of that now open port.

If it hasn't ever been removed, chances are the bolts will break off in the muffler body, then need to be drilled out and the hole threads repaired and new bolts and gasket used.

A tip on those bolts is to cut them to a length where they only tighten in the threads and not beyond them. When the bolt protrudes past those threads, the exposed end becomes covered in exhaust emissions and makes removing them that much more difficult.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    You're welcome.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    King: You are amazing...

--
    Thank you ATC King!! I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I took a couple of college classes which kept me pretty busy this summer.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //