//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Engine noise on 1984 honda 200

--

Engine noise on 1984 honda 200

Hey friends , I just finished a rebuild on my Honda 200 the other day did a fresh oil change and adjusted my ignition timing its running good now with no smoking ! That's the good side of things here , but I'm getting this noise that seems to get louder after the engine warms up doesn't seem to affect performance but just worried as I dont want to do another rebuild atleast for awhile .. I will post a link to the video here so you can listen and hopefully give me some insight on what this could be .. Also the cam chain was tight when I was re-assembling the engine I tried using the auto-adjuster for the chain but it didnt change the noise at all , not sure it even works to be honest . Thanks all ! Have a great day

https://youtube.com/shorts/rb-HxyayDOo?feature=share

--
    Start by watching this video - will help you I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpoHh9EMhaU
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    I have watched D-Rays videos in the past and I did have a feeling it was the cam chain rattling around in there , but it was very snug when I re-assembled the engine a couple days ago I actually had to push the tensioner down to loosen the chain to get it on the sprocket and when I let the tensioner go it was good and tight, is it a known thing for those chains to lose tension after being assembled?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Start by watching this video - will help you I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpoHh9EMhaU
    I watched that very video and followed his instructions and I've never had a noisy 185/200 topend ever again.

I screwed in the bolt, started the bike, and pulled up until the noise went away, and then tighten the collet bolt

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984Honda200 View Post
    I have watched D-Rays videos in the past and I did have a feeling it was the cam chain rattling around in there , but it was very snug when I re-assembled the engine a couple days ago I actually had to push the tensioner down to loosen the chain to get it on the sprocket and when I let the tensioner go it was good and tight, is it a known thing for those chains to lose tension after being assembled?
    Yeah I used to think so too, but there wasn't enough tension on the chain guide to silence the racket in the topend until I screwed in the M4 bolt and pulled up on the tensioner while I retightened it. I did it with the motor running so I didn't over tension the guide. I kept increasing the amount of force I was pulling up on the bolt with, until the chain got quiet and then it was set without having too much tension on the chain guide which would increase the rate of wear on the guide.

I've never had any luck using any other method, your results may vary

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

--
    Thank you IronChop , that's what I needed to hear funny how much tension these engines really need to keep that cam chain quiet , i would have never thought. Guess I'll hit the parts store and try to come up with a bolt that will thread into that sucker . Much appreciated my friend have a great day

--
    I believe I read that a screw from the lens of an old motorcycle turn signal is the same thread size and pitch - just in case you have a street bike nearby that you could borrow one from to try.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //