//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ebay ignition setup?

--

ebay ignition setup?

I've had luck with the budget ebay ignition kits. for about 16 bucks you get a harness, cdi, coil, plug wire, kill switch and a plug. I used them in the 185s projects. Anyone else use them? any reason these might be a issue? jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    If it works for you, go with it.

I've had quite a bit of hit-or-miss with the CDIs from different sellers. Never had a problem with any of the coils I've bought. Cheap wire is usually aluminum with a copper coating (like in those harnesses). It'll work, but not in the long run like true copper wire. The spark plugs, meh, I buy those in person from reputable stores. There's too many sellers with fake plugs on eBay. Heat range and construction need to be accurate, or it can cause serious issues. Cheap plating can also cause them to seize in the threads.

FYI, because I'm getting tunnel vision and feel compelled to inject non-related junk into someone else's thread, plated plugs are NOT supposed to have anti-seize on them, that's the whole reason for the plating. Anit-seize can cause them to be over-torqued and strip the threads.

I know the 'I've always used it and the sky didn't fall' crowd will argue, but they were probably around before modern plating or they learned it from said oldschooly. Bless their hearts.

"NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental."

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resourc...ut-spark-plugs
    Last edited by ATC King; 06-13-2021 at 06:03 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    the plug in the kit looks like junk, electrode is tilted off center. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //