//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Having trouble finding tires for my '85 ATC200S

--

Having trouble finding tires for my '85 ATC200S

After a few years and a number of false starts, I've decided to finally get going on my '85 ATC200S. I have pretty much all the parts for it except three: the tires. I've tried looking around for a set of 22x11-8 tires, but I'm having trouble finding them. Is there some sort of ATV tire shortage that I don't know about?

--
    I just typed those dimensions into eBay and all kinds of results came up. Where have you been looking?
    It sucks to get old

--
    That's where I usually buy mine too.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    That's where I usually buy mine too.
    Just a heads up, stay clear of eBay for highway rubber unless the seller is willing to share the manufacturing date. A lot of past due stuff gets sold on there for cheep and you don’t want 10 year old street rubber.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I've seen this in the past. I bought some tires for my 83 GL1100 and they were 4 or 5 years old when I got them in. I complained to the seller and the answer was "they have been stored inside a warehouse and they are new". My answer was "No. Being made within the last year is new." That was the end of the conversation and the end of my street tire buying on Ebay.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    ...you don’t want 10 year old street rubber.
    So that 2011, 75 cent Rough-N-Ready from the remote convenience store/bar bathroom vending machine isn't a safe decision? Reply quickly, please.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    So that 2011, 75 cent Rough-N-Ready from the remote convenience store/bar bathroom vending machine isn't a safe decision? Reply quickly, please.
    $0.75 ?!?!?

Stupid inflation

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

--
    SimpleTire.com

That's where i buy all my tires from these days, good prices, fast shipping. In the last few years i have bought tires for my Jeep, the wife's Van, my trailer, and two of my ATC's. Good company to work with, have warehouses all over the dang place or work with distributors to find the tires. I ordered three Deestone tires for my 84 200ES and had them in four days via FedEx because they came from a warehouse in the next state over, when i bought three tires for my 200E they came from the other coast, so its a toss up, but they still got here in less than a week.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I've seen this in the past. I bought some tires for my 83 GL1100 and they were 4 or 5 years old when I got them in. I complained to the seller and the answer was "they have been stored inside a warehouse and they are new". My answer was "No. Being made within the last year is new." That was the end of the conversation and the end of my street tire buying on Ebay.
    This is actually really common, and its not just eBay, a few local tire places always have some tires that don't sell daily and they end up being old. I bought some tires for a little utility trailer from a local farm supply store a few years back that were about three years past their manufacture date, but i have been using them for five years and haven't caused me any issue, sure there is a chance but i wasn't too worried. Now motorcycle or car/truck tires thats a different deal, i am not up on all the rules and regs there but pretty sure the tires more or less have a legal sell by date. Although in the farm country where i live those tires get sold to farmers for hay racks and farm implement use where nobody cares, if it wasn't that new old stock they would have bought a used one off the pile just to get the hay done... LOL
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    This is actually really common, and its not just eBay, a few local tire places always have some tires that don't sell daily and they end up being old. I bought some tires for a little utility trailer from a local farm supply store a few years back that were about three years past their manufacture date, but i have been using them for five years and haven't caused me any issue, sure there is a chance but i wasn't too worried. Now motorcycle or car/truck tires thats a different deal, i am not up on all the rules and regs there but pretty sure the tires more or less have a legal sell by date. Although in the farm country where i live those tires get sold to farmers for hay racks and farm implement use where nobody cares, if it wasn't that new old stock they would have bought a used one off the pile just to get the hay done... LOL
    True. I don't worry much about a little bit older tires for a (relatively) slow moving application like for a trike, but street tires are a place where I don't like to take a chance.

--
    For perspective, they can ship bananas halfway across the world and sell them in the store before rotten, but a motor vehicle consumable that's probably only third in line behind fuel and oil sits on shelves for years until they're unsafe?

Lance Armstrong used to say one of his tricks to going fast was to buy new tires and throw them in a shed for years until they 'aged'. Was he lying?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    For perspective, they can ship bananas halfway across the world and sell them in the store before rotten, but a motor vehicle consumable that's probably only third in line behind fuel and oil sits on shelves for years until they're unsafe?

Lance Armstrong used to say one of his tricks to going fast was to buy new tires and throw them in a shed for years until they 'aged'. Was he lying?

That makes sense. Sticky rubber is going to add a little bit of drag, but I suspect his biggest advantage was his needle.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    $0.75 ?!?!?

Stupid inflation

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    That’s not what she said.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //