//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200ES Ignition Switch

--

200ES Ignition Switch

Anyone have a lead on good aftermarket ignition switches for an '84 200ES short of a used OEM one? I got one from EBay recently and the fit is absolutely terrible. Too small, rotates in the dashboard, the female connector didn't have the protective covering the OEM one had, and the black wire did not have the other half of the protective covering the OEM one also had. Had good reviews and lots sold ironically. Thanks

--
    I have always bought the ones on eBay, the wiring isn't always perfect, but a little heatshrink fixes that. Other then finding an original one thats in good shape they are all basically the same in the aftermarket. I had one fit loose like you experienced as well but its not the switch, its the hole in the dash, its aluminum, and they wear out, the original switch had just a tiny bit of wiggle to them as well, and over the years of getting turned off an on they slowly wallow out the hole in the dash.

What i did was put a few wraps of teflon tape, the stuff you use for sealing up plumbing connections, around the switch body at the very top above the wings that latch it in to the notches, and then i forced it in. I'm sure it will loosen eventually but the guy that owns it has had it like that for three years now!

What was wrong with your original? I have taken the originals apart before, cleaned up the contacts inside them, put in some new dielectric grease, solder back on broken wires, etc... They are repairable unless they really got beat up and broken.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    The entire top of it was missing and shoved under the dash. No key either. That's why I got an ebay one. I will keep an eye out and if I see a good used one, I'll grab it. For now though, this one will work

--
    Maybe ps2fixer will chime in. I think he found an OEM replacement that'll work, maybe from a TRX or something. If not that, then a suitable aftermarket one. Remember that in the transition to quad from trikes, Honda had a lot of early parts that crossed over. If not directly, then very close.

eBay reviews can be very sketchy. A lot of people who clearly aren't detail oriented will post up nonsense reviews, then there are a lot who haven't even installed or used and item that will post one, and even worse are the ones who appear as fraudulent ones who are aligned with the seller to boost sales. Listings with a lot of sales and positive reviews that lack actual product details and quality pictures are very suspect. There's a lot of sellers, hacking the same wares with the same stock photos, who are clearly just after the sales quantity and not quality. Your best bet is to find a product on eBay, then search for a non-sponsored review of it on YouTube. There's a lot of pure junk on eBay with good reviews.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //