//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 200M forks/shocks into 1984 200ES Big Red

--

1984 200M forks/shocks into 1984 200ES Big Red

Hey guys I am new here please take it easy!

I have a 1984 ATC 200ES Big Red as well as a 1984 ATC 200M. The 200M is in pretty good shape but has some exhaust and brake issues I'm tired of dealing with. The front end on the 200M is in near perfect condition.

The 200es however has the dreaded shot front forks. They work, but travel is short and have been full of water since who knows how long and the boots are cracked.

I understand the 200M shocks and/or forks are a direct swap into the 200es. What I am thinking is taking the whole front end of the 200M and installing on the 200es since the hub, brake and tire is all there (from the 200M). I haven't done this before, so I'm hoping there is some instruction on the easiest way to do this is?

Are there any tips or warnings I should know about ahead of time?
    Is there a video or tutorial online somewhere that has visuals? If not, how difficult is this swap?
    Do I need any new parts ahead of time?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

1984 200es Big Red
    1984 200M
    1984 200S

--
    NEWBIE here..With LOTS of questions.
    I just picked up a 84 Big Red 200ES,, It needs alot of loving I didn't know what I didn't know when I bought it,
    So trying to get it more better.
    It needs front shocks. I can't find them ANYWHERE (not rebuildable) Will other years and models fit ??
    Any Help Would Be A Help

THANKS

--
    Un-bolt it from 200m. collect all the ball bearings that will go every-ware....32 or 36 of them. Unbolt the 200e or 200es and swap it all over. The machines are the same but a few small differences. I am going a different out and adding longer forks from something else and making a new triple for my 200e. The stuff might be a bit better but its also 40 years old now and been thru hell.

Just watch out for all the ball bearings, they will go every ware. I highly suggest nothing else in garage and a clean floor to find them.

Any honda 200 bigred e or es has a throw away front end. Steel on steel was the worst design. I go have a set of forks that work. I listed them local on FB for 40 bucks. If they do not sell I am cutting them yup. I have a bad set where the wheel just fell off like most of them. I didn't care too much since I'm adding a swing arm and rear suspension to mine. Reason I bought a few cheap since no one wants to deal with their hassles anymore. Not a project for any rookies.

--
    Hi, I would suggest replacing the bearings with a sealed cage style vs the individual bearings (build a cup) out of duct tape, sticky side in and attach it under the stem when you take it apart to "catch" the loose bearings as they fall. yes they will fall everywhere.
    swap the entire front end, triple trees and forks, axle and brake assembly ALSO be careful with the 200m fender, very hard to find, you will be swapping it over also.
    I have a video on this swap if your interested
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUZaC7q3LzI

Welcome to the Club
    MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Un-bolt it from 200m. collect all the ball bearings that will go every-ware....32 or 36 of them. Unbolt the 200e or 200es and swap it all over. The machines are the same but a few small differences. I am going a different out and adding longer forks from something else and making a new triple for my 200e. The stuff might be a bit better but its also 40 years old now and been thru hell.

Just watch out for all the ball bearings, they will go every ware. I highly suggest nothing else in garage and a clean floor to find them.

Any honda 200 bigred e or es has a throw away front end. Steel on steel was the worst design. I go have a set of forks that work. I listed them local on FB for 40 bucks. If they do not sell I am cutting them yup. I have a bad set where the wheel just fell off like most of them. I didn't care too much since I'm adding a swing arm and rear suspension to mine. Reason I bought a few cheap since no one wants to deal with their hassles anymore. Not a project for any rookies.

I have a couple old bath towel rags I lay on the floor under the triple tree when I take it apart, haven't lost a bearing yet.

Got an 87 YSR50 that'll be getting TT bearings replaced in the next few days, I'll be breaking out the towelrags.

As far as a replacement front end, I believe I used a 200S TT and forks for a replacement. I'd have to look back in my threads to make sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I use a trash bag to wrap around the steering head before taking it apart. I've caught all of the bearings when I've done that. I'll second what MrCondid said about the caged bearings. I used them for the first time last spring and they were SO easy to install that I'll never go back to the individual balls.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //