//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86 200x

--

86 200x

Put a new Vershah clutch gasket on without sealer of any type and it leaks very bad when the motor warms up. The gasket looks good still. Surfaces were clean when I did the repair. How do I fix it right?

--
    Sounds like the mating surfaces need to be checked for flatness, and possibly lapped to fix any defects/warpage. Or, the gasket got fouled up, despite your best efforts, during the installation process.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    I can say that it didn't leak with the original gasket and the cover was carefully removed and the gasket was carefully removed with a razor. I was very careful with the razor and just was easy, no gouging of corse.

--
    I always use grease on case gaskets, just a thin coat. If the 2 surfaces are damage free I never use RTV or anything else but you may wish to use a thin coat of 3 bond.

The usual issues are too short or too long of a bolt and guys have trouble with the decompression cam when installing the cover and often force it on. I've even seen one of the decomp cams get lined up wrong, forced on and it couldn't slide or move the cable. Unless you've been in the motor before you never know what other people may have done in there.

Make sure all the bolts tick out the same when just placed in the hole and check for nicks. Especially when using new bolt kits, often Honda wants 27mm long and they get 25 or 30 because the guy making the kits doesn't care.

Probably something silly, you'll find it...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I always use grease on case gaskets, just a thin coat. If the 2 surfaces are damage free I never use RTV or anything else but you may wish to use a thin coat of 3 bond.

The usual issues are too short or too long of a bolt and guys have trouble with the decompression cam when installing the cover and often force it on. I've even seen one of the decomp cams get lined up wrong, forced on and it couldn't slide or move the cable. Unless you've been in the motor before you never know what other people may have done in there.

Make sure all the bolts tick out the same when just placed in the hole and check for nicks. Especially when using new bolt kits, often Honda wants 27mm long and they get 25 or 30 because the guy making the kits doesn't care.

Probably something silly, you'll find it...
    Thanks, Dirtcrasher. I am not sure if I helped anything yet. Great pointers. If it leaks when I start it back up I will check what you are saying.
    I soaked the same gasket in oil. Checked the assembly, In the area where it was leaking and running oil down the swingarm, good or bad, I tried a little rtv on some bolt threads. Kicker and decompression cable worked correctly. Instead of checking the leak I wanted more pain so I started the swingarm bolt removal
    The bolt moved this evening from a few days of therapy. Blaster worked. Going to bump it each way, little bit at a time. Hoping that it keeps moving.
    New chain and sprockets, slider and roller soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210622_185904.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	267818
    Last edited by fieldy; 06-22-2021 at 11:53 PM.

--
    Took my time and used patience. The bolt came out but the bearings are rusty so ordered more parts. Starting to add up now. Let's see...I got an economy o-ring chain and good stock sprockets, a slider, roller, fork boots, front tire, now bearings. Recently put in a stator and a clutch kit and a new clutch cable and a new factory on/off switch, two new rear tires, Dg exhaust and Jets. I think I will go with Honda bearings, the bolt and spacer don't look to bad. Might as well go for the 250r triple clamp and forks then buy smaller tires and different race sprockets and chains again so it can be raced. This 200x should bring $4,000 someday right? I hope so, lol. Love working on it.

...and 3 sets of brake pads.
    Last edited by fieldy; 06-27-2021 at 11:33 PM.

--
    will it be a better idea just to use the delrin swingarm bushing replacment instead of the factory or all balls replacement kit? Opinions wanted, thanks.

--
    Delrin or UHMW is the cheapest an easiest way out and they won't damage anything.

They work well, but nothing is smoother than needle bearings, that's how they wanted it back then.

Gotta improvise sometimes...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //