//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1978 ATC90 Converted to a 2 Wheel Monster Trail Bike

--

Smile 1978 ATC90 Converted to a 2 Wheel Monster Trail Bike

Here is a video and some pictures of another custom stupid-fat tire trail bike I am building out of a 1978 Honda ATC90.

My dad's build that I posted here turned out so dang nice, I figured I would have a go at another one.

Now don't worry, I'm not just out here murdering old 3 wheelers. The only parts lost on these builds were a couple cracked frames and bent forks and fenders. Plus, I just did a full nut and bolt resto and full engine rebuild on this guy below. I'll post videos to my youtube channel in the near future as penance for my wicked ways

I'll post more pictures here once I get everything organized. Thanks for looking!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can visit my website or youtube if you want to see more build pics and vids

www.bigfootbikesandbrews.com or youtube channel Bigfoot Bikes and Brews

--
    Very nice! I like it a lot. This obviously is not a first dis you design the swing arm yourself or was it copied from another build? I didn’t bother to watch the video maybe that information was explained.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Very cool. I always wanted one of the big wheel bikes. Only thing is around here 90% of our trails are closed to motorcycles. Still it would be cool to have one for the camp roads or around the prperty. I liked the video and subscribed. Keep up the good work man.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    Very nice! I like it a lot. This obviously is not a first dis you design the swing arm yourself or was it copied from another build? I didn’t bother to watch the video maybe that information was explained.
    I show how I built it in the video. I made the swing arm out the original rigid fork that was on the ATC. I put a suspension fork off a 185S on the front.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
    Here are a few more pictures of the progress. I will have part 2 of the build video on my youtube channel around 5 or 6 am Central time tomorrow. Thanks again for the comments and feedback.

Last edited by BigfootBikes; 06-29-2021 at 06:44 PM.

--
    Here is the second video in the series. I will try my best to get the next video on youtube up mid next week. I might do some riding over the Independence Day weekend instead of working, but I'll try and get something out there ASAP.

--
    Here are a few more pictures of the progress. I wasn't thinking everything through on the rigid footpegs on these things. They're downright dangerous on the ankles and shins. I will have to chop them off and weld on some normal spring loaded pegs off something in the VERY near future.

I should be able to get the next video on my YouTube channel Monday morning if I don't party to hearty over the weekend.

Thanks again for the comments and feedback!

--
    Here is part 3 of the build video.

--
    I made some molds for the side panels out of that dry foam stuff folks use to put artificial flowers in, laid down some fiberglass and got dirty doing some body work. It's starting to look like a bike!

The wide rigid foot pegs have got to go ASAP though. Very very bad idea. I didn't think that one through, I reworked them and put some normal spring loaded dirt bike pegs on them tucked close to the sides of the bike.

I'm going to be busy with work for a bit but will get the video of the fiberglass and body work on my youtube channel later next week.

--
    How many layers of fiber glass did you use ? And how did you mount them? They look good that has always been the issue with the conversion bikes is finding good side panels
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    How many layers of fiber glass did you use ? And how did you mount them? They look good that has always been the issue with the conversion bikes is finding good side panels

I have two layers of fiberglass and smeared long strand fiberglass filler on the inside and outside. Panels end up being about 3/16" thick and very tough.

As far as mounting, I cut some squares out of sheet metal and welded some bolts to them. Then bonded the sheet metal in to the fiberglass panels with another layer of fiberglass. So basically the insides of the panels have some hidden threaded studs that bolt on to some custom brackets that are bolted to the frame.

I am showing that on next weeks video on my youtube channel. A lot easier to explain that way than over text.

Thanks again.

--
    Hey Bigfoot,
    Its coming along nicely, I watched your videos, and I have seen others that use a similar design as in the jackshaft serves many double duty such as:
    pivot point for swing arm
    transfer power to rear axle
    Just thinking out loud, do you have any creep or parasitic loss of power, it would seem that shaft would always be spinning or at least rotating during a bounce, may be
    I'm over thinking it, I do that sometimes, I am aware this is the best place to mount the sprocket for chain angle and alignment.
    I have considered building a bike as well.
    Thanks for Sharing
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Hey Bigfoot,
    Its coming along nicely, I watched your videos, and I have seen others that use a similar design as in the jackshaft serves many double duty such as:
    pivot point for swing arm
    transfer power to rear axle
    Just thinking out loud, do you have any creep or parasitic loss of power, it would seem that shaft would always be spinning or at least rotating during a bounce, may be
    I'm over thinking it, I do that sometimes, I am aware this is the best place to mount the sprocket for chain angle and alignment.
    I have considered building a bike as well.
    Thanks for Sharing
    I don't notice any loss in power and notice no change when hitting bumps. It rides and feels like a normal bike. It is quite a bit quicker than with the 3 wheels. The only thing you notice is turning with the wide tires but they feel very natural once you get the feel for it.

I am recording a bunch of videos riding the thing with a camera on the handle bars and some aerial drone footage riding some pretty rough and steep trails. I'll get those videos all edited together and will post them to my youtube channel after I get all the build videos done.

Thanks again!

--
    Here is the latest video of the build. I will try to get the next one on my youtube channel later this week.

--
    Big thumbs up on video. Thanks for the good explanation on how you made the side panels they look good ?
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //