//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Recon Rancher brake Drum shoes help

--

Recon Rancher brake Drum shoes help

I've always had an issue with the 250 RECON and 350 Rancher brake Drum shoes. I've used emgo and EBC but the braking power isn't very good at all. I bought a 2007 Recon One time and it had the best brakes I've ever seen , it was like it had power brakes. I just installed a new rear brake drum and Emgo brake shoes on a 350 rancher and it sucks to barely slow it down at all. Is there a secret or certain shoes that have the best braking power???

--
    1st thing - try OEM Honda shoes. I know they are WAY more expensive, but I bet you won't have issues. The only other issue is you drum might be out of spec. Measure the drum and check specs on it.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    I second on the use of OEM shoes also make sure the axle bearings are still good/tight .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Yup..I put OEM Honda shoes on today and it does brake better. I have a new brake drum but the brakes still stick! I have to pull back on the rear brake arm .. could it be the spring is too weak being it's so old?Screenshot_20210630-223004.jpg

--
    If the arm is not returning, you need to "recondition" the most likely ungreased, slightly rusted surfaces. You'll need to pull everything apart to do this. The area of concentration is the hole and rod where the arm pivots. Pull everything apart - clean well with round wire brush and or emery paper. Grease liberally and reassemble. Your problem will go away. This is actually overlooked maintenance that should be done at least once every few years.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    If the arm is not returning, you need to "recondition" the most likely ungreased, slightly rusted surfaces. You'll need to pull everything apart to do this. The area of concentration is the hole and rod where the arm pivots. Pull everything apart - clean well with round wire brush and or emery paper. Grease liberally and reassemble. Your problem will go away. This is actually overlooked maintenance that should be done at least once every few years.
    Although that is a issue in some cases but in this situation it's different. I always clean and lubricate the brake arm shaft so that wasn't the problem.. I also installed factory HONDA brake shoes with a BRAND New brake drum thinking that would cure the sticky brake issue but it didn't. It sticks pretty good , never seen anything like it.. i can remove the brake Drum and the brakes do not stick at all.. the shoes are sticking to the Drum just like the old one did. The return spring on the brake arm must be too old and weak, just cannot be anything else but still those shoes should not stick to the Drum like that.

--
    You know superAtv and Highlifter makes disc brake conversion kits right? If you install them properly(with the competent master cylinders made for disc brakes) then they will work and stop you like disc brakes should...but...if you run them like most people and use with the stupid brake cable design on the rear, and the super weak drum brake master cylinder on the bars, then the stopping force ain’t all that great, but do work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 250Rfanatic85; 05-13-2022 at 10:32 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //