//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86 200x axle and/or hub stripped.

wild200x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

86 200x axle and/or hub stripped.

A good friend of mine has this problem. Says he can not find any parts. Any of you that have suggestions or help thank you in advance. He wants me to weld it! not gonna do it!

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Weld that sucker! lol, which side is it? Depending on the side if you can still get the axle out, I'd throw a new sprocket on er and put 2 heavy tack welds on it. Enough to hold it on but not too much so you can't feather them out and remove the hub later if need be
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Weld that sucker! lol, which side is it? Depending on the side if you can still get the axle out, I'd throw a new sprocket on er and put 2 heavy tack welds on it. Enough to hold it on but not too much so you can't feather them out and remove the hub later if need be
    I agree. Weld it and run it. The name of the game is to NEVER let your front tire touch the ground.

--
    Those axles are heat treated. I'd not Weld it. But a 300ex axle in it and run proper stuff

--
    Years ago I was running 4 inch spacers and 8 inch rims. I let the right hub get loose. Had to weld the hub to the axle with an arc welder but used some kind of multi steel rod. Rode it till the swingarm axle bearings failed. Didn't have any money so that's why we went with the arc welder... worked great for years. Ran a fat bead all the way around.
    Last edited by fieldy; 07-10-2021 at 06:56 PM.

--
    That axle runs 350 - 500$ used, I've even seen 650$ sell!!

He can use an 83/84 250R as well and he'll have an extended axle. BUT, those are all gone too, at least the nice ones are.

I still buy parts when I see them cheap, I've been buying for 20 years now and I'm super glad I did.

All prices we didn't want to pay 10 years ago have since tripled and now we don't want to pay that, but they will continue to climb. Use to see a couple dozen mint trikes parted a month, you're lucky to see 1 every month or 2 and the rest are roaches.

I have an 86/87 axle but it would not be inexpensive, if I ever need it I'll be paying just as much or more.

You can TIG weld it and be done with it, that's more concentrated than the heat of an ARC or a MIG welder. I don't care for heat on axles either, but his options are limited. Only other option would be to turn the hub and axle splines in a lathe, make a bushing with 1 or 2 keyways, broach the hub and put a large set screw 90 degrees from the key. You could cut a keyway in it now, with carbide, but I'm betting it's too sloppy; Keyways do not last when sloppy, you want a decent slip fit/tap in place or pressed on. Otherwise the key will shear.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //