//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 83 KLT 250A starter problem.

--

83 KLT 250A starter problem.

first I apologize if this has been covered before, but couldn't find an answer. I have the new starter I just put in an when I go to press the start button I just get a click. Before I removed it I wanted to see it it would spin if I went directly from the battery to the starter motor and nothing happened other than sparks. So I removed it and out it in a vice and connected it to the same battery and it would spin no problem. I can out the old starter motor back in and see what happens, after I got a new battery and tested that again it worked just fine, I originally tested it with a bad battery, but I assume the same thing will happen. Any help is much appreciated!

--
    It sounds to me like your problem isn't with the starters or the battery. I'd guess that it's something internal to the engine. Does the engine itself turn over or is it locked up?

--
    so the old starter work but the new one doesn't?

--
    When I pull off the Stator case I am able to turn the flywheel and engine freely. Also when the starter motor is off and where the gears are is exposed I'm able to turn the them and the starter sprocket/chain freely counter clock wise and it locks if I turn clock wise.

--
    Nah, the old starter is doing the same exact thing, when they're off the machine for me to test them they both spin when hooked up to power, but not when they're on the machine hooked directly to power.

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Make sure all you connections are clean (making good contact), the Fat Cat I just finished was doing the same thing until I literally scraped off the top of the battery terminals.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    I put a different on/off button and it turned over just fine. I tried it a few times and on the third try it stopped spinning and was doing the same thing as before.

--
    The starter gear mates to a gear on the engine to turn over.
    If this gear is bad,it could create the condition you are describing.
    Keep posted,Kawzilla (KLT200C-1)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kawzilla View Post
    The starter gear mates to a gear on the engine to turn over.
    If this gear is bad,it could create the condition you are describing.
    Keep posted,Kawzilla (KLT200C-1)
    Are you talking about the starter sprocket and chain?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //