//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Street legal tecate?!?!?!?!?!

--

Street legal tecate?!?!?!?!?!

As one of you that got that vision of a street legal trike in your head and just had to make it a reality...

...9 months later I have a bouncing baby Tri/Dual sport!

Registered/Inspected/ and insured in NY. Some say it can't be done...just do it!

No three wheelers were harmed in this build. However there were several motorcycles and quads that gave up parts for the cause.

Just for fun, I'll let the members see if they can identify all the pieces...

ENJOY!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	650a.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	267932 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	650b.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	267933

--
    That's a street legal motorcycle that you affixed a sport quad rear end and fenders to, and didn't even bother to fit custom trees to and added a sport bike front wheel with a knobby tire.

Correct?

Regardless, the thread title is complete click-bait. It's not even a two cycle engine.

Street legal trikes are entirely a thing of the past in the intended sense. There are ways to legally ride authentic trikes on the street, but as far as getting a new tag on one that permits unlimited street use...it's a myth.

You forgot to show a picture of boobs for your YouTube-level click-bait.

Am I being obtuse? No, I'm being square.
    Last edited by ATC King; 07-23-2021 at 09:26 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Honestly, the "click-bait" was a question asked by a curious gentleman at the gas station...

Lighten up, life is short...

j

--
    Quote Originally Posted by judge1111 View Post

Lighten up, life is short...

Life is short, so do some research and at least know what a Tecate (3) was.

If you had called it a Motojave, Team Green may have gotten a chuckle, but to desecrate the Tecate name with that four cycle monstrosity, is complete sacralige. I'm not even on Team Green, and that stung.

At least using a Kawasaki enduro like one of the KE's as the foundation would have started with the correct engine cycle, albeit, air cooled. Possibly even a plated KDX. Then maybe grafting on some actual Tecate parts to that would have given you license to use the name, but you have committed a carnal sin against the green and forgotten it's history.

Now your undergarments' will forever be cursed with the green stripe of indignity.

--
    Again, not my words...if i see the guy again at the gas station, I will inform him of his blasphemy...

Some 3WW members have built street legal trikes out of a dual sport and I thank them for the inspiration!

Let's just call it a "KLT650", that should keep the purists from soiling themselves.

FYI, the 10" wide triples are not stock...think "wide-glide".

cheers

--
    Quote Originally Posted by judge1111 View Post
    Again, not my words...if i see the guy again at the gas station, I will inform him of his blasphemy...

Did you build that Servi-Car or not? That reply doesn't make sense.

Everyone doesn't get a participation trophy. Too many people on here have done much more detailed and involved builds, for you to just step in and get offended when your Servi-Car doesn't get a pass.

It's not a Tecate by a longshot.

--
    Besides the front end, I think it's a pretty nice conversion. The idea of a street legal trike seems stupid fun!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by legacy51 View Post
    Besides the front end, I think it's a pretty nice conversion. The idea of a street legal trike seems stupid fun!
    I was on the fence about that front wheel..., but wanted the "big brakes" and a stiff DOT tire for street use.
    ...a 10" rim/24" tire seemed like it would be a little sketchy cornering at 65MPH!

In the end...it works very well...

j

--
    Quote Originally Posted by legacy51 View Post
    The idea of a street legal trike seems stupid fun!

I'd like to give my perspective of this. I've been riding dirt bikes and ATCs before I had a driver's license.

For short trips, many states currently allow ATV travel on paved roads, excluding interstates and high speed roads like major highways. Many times, this is without extra work having to be done by the owner/operator as long as they adhere to the laws.

Other states allow a whole lot of leniency for local areas. This would include ATV tourist areas, where riders can legally ride through a town without any extra requirements.

Besides legal requirements, there's reality. I've owned dual sport bikes since my second decade on this planet. Just last week, I rode about 30 miles of gravel road then jumped onto the interstate and rode 70 miles at 75+mph. I can also ride trails with that same bike. That is NOT going to happen with ANY trike. Besides the extra drag from three fat tires, there's the aerodynamic issues.

In summary, other than for connecting trails on roads with low speeds, having a street legal trike is mostly as large waste.

Another thing I'd like to add is that I can ride my bicycle across the country without a license of any sort, and in places motorized vehicles aren't allowed. In fact, I think I'll take my bicycle down the interstate shoulder in the morning. That's not legal in all states, but it is where I'm at. I've rode a bicycle more in a day than many people have their trikes and that's not a rip, but a fact.

One last thing, I walked from Telluride to the falls. If you haven't rode your trike on Black Bear Pass, you really should.

I also have a CDL. When I talk about all this other crap, I really have a wide swath of experience of being on the road. Maybe that doesn't mean anything to the lowest common denominator, but I've spun multiple types of wheels over the country.
    Last edited by ATC King; 07-28-2021 at 11:04 PM.

--
    I respectfully disagree with some of your above post King. There were many days while in my teens early 20's we spent hours cruising the roads for miles, crap i remember cruising down the highway to get to the ice cream stand three towns away. My second bike 87 200x ya i know only 192cc or so but i had that thing screaming at a whopping 62mph on pavement more times than i can count (well it seemed fast back then).
    A hardtail atc with balloon tires sounds a little sketchy moving along on twisty back roads but i had my l suzuki 185 on the pavement many times as well (just slower)
    If i got the legal chance i'd register all my atc's for the road.

Or maybe I was just lucky as hell back then, but they were good times....

We can just agree to disagree i guess on this topic Atc King.

wouldn't catch me with that skinny front tire that this thread is about though, those rear wheels he has probably just pushes cornering with that wheel. no offence judge.

I'm tired, cranky and going to bed...

shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-28-2021 at 11:35 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post

wouldn't catch me with that skinny front tire that this thread is about though, those rear wheels he has probably just pushes cornering with that wheel. no offence judge.
    None taken! thanks...

...it must be the photo is misleading. The front tire is 24" by 8" wide...same as a tri-z.(...which also has the same front fender)
    The low profile yields excellent high speed cornering. Does it push? Not bad, IF you ride it like a trike...

Those "golf cart" tires are mainly for dirt roads/off road/snow. I also have a set of 18" street tires for cruising the parkway...

It might be pointless...but you can ride it anywhere, it draws alot of positive attention, and always puts a smile on your face!

Enjoy!
    j

--
    My atc110 is street legal here in Montana. The state does not even require insurance for atv's on public roads. i drive mine all over town. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	268062

--
    I disagree, I live in a small town here in Montana and I find my street legal atc110 to be very fun and convenient for getting around town. I guess it just depends on where you are at and what you use it for. Where I'm at I have mountain riding surrounding the town, so in 5 minutes i can be going cruising up the mountains. I have already put 30 hours on my trike in the last month from just cruising around town.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //