//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Big Red virgin.

--

Big Red virgin.

Hey, all. It's nice to be a part of a great group. I just recently purchased an 84 200es from an online auction. I noticed the gear shift is bent and was welded at one point. Any ideas why it will only shift to 1st and then back into neutral? I took the right side cover off and everything seems to be okay, it doesn't look like anything is broke. Could there be an issue with the shift shaft? There seems to be quite a lot of play in the gear shifter.

--
    Welcome aboard fellow Canuck and neighbor. I don't have a lot of transmission experience but I do have a 84 200es carcass motor with trans you're welcome to if you need it.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Thanks, i will keep you in mind.

--
    When you say it shifts to 1st then back to neutral do you mean that it engages into first gear but then pops out of gear? Or do you mean you push down and it goes into first but then not another gear? Just trying to see what you are dealing with. If you can tap it down into first and the shifter returns up and it stays in gear but then you can't repeat this and shift into second then my guess is you have a bad shift stop, could be related to the shifter being welded on, someone might have been shifting it really hard and stripped out the shifter so they welded it on, and in the process of continuing to shift like a caveman they messed up the stopper.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    It seems like it shifts fine for a couple gears and then it wa ts to jam up. Would it go if i forced it, probably would but I don't want to find out lol. I haven't actually driven the trike yet as I'm having electrical issues. I would like to see what it does when i get running down the road.

--
    Thanks for the reply. Okay will do, I will wait until i get it running to see what the shifting is like. Thanks.

--
    Update!! I took the trike out for a rip and in low range the trike shifts nicely up and down through the gears. However when I put it into high range, and go through the gears, it wants to hesitate and there is a sort of a clunking noise. The faster I go the worse it gets. The noise seems to be coming from the left side of the engine. Is it possible the cam chain is loose and needs adjustment?

--
    Left side would probably be timing chain, does it sound like a rattling noise that changes with engine speed? If so thats probably timing chain. However on the left side is also the sub-trans and it could be from that as well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //