//ArrowChat Code

Thread: when you swap front ends do you rebuild?

--

when you swap front ends do you rebuild?

Ok so with the 84 200es Big Reds the factory front suspension is junk and the popular thing to do is swap with a 200m or 200s front end.

I cannot for the life of me find a video on how to rebuild 200s front shocks.

I did find a write-up on this forum for a 200m shock rebuild. My question is are the 200s shocks any different than the 200m shocks? And what if any rebuild kits or part numbers for rebuild kits should I be looking for?

I have managed to get ahold of all the parts I need to do the swap from an 83 200s

any advice would be great! Thanks.

Ps I hate to ask this but the truth is I have never messed with shock rebuilds. If push came to shove is this something a dealer or motorcycle shop could do if I took the shocks to them, not that I want to.

--
    I suggest getting a good service manual, everything you'll need is in there. If it's anything like a 250ES front tube it's pretty easy to do.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    I suggest getting a good service manual, everything you'll need is in there. If it's anything like a 250ES front tube it's pretty easy to do.
    I downloaded the shop service manual for the 200es and 200s. The suspension is not the same as the 85 250 bikes from what I understand the 250 Big Reds are far easier to rebuild. The 200s front is what I am going to be using it has the same shocks as the 200m and it seems I am going to need a shop press to be able to do the job. I have no problem buying a press but I will not buy it until I am able to successfully remove the 2 Allan bolts that hold the shock body to the fork shafts.

Those 2 bolts look horrible and from what I understand they are thread locked in from the factory and the rebuild says to thread lock them if you take them apart. I plan to soak the entire shock in Higgins brew for a couple of weeks in hopes that I can get that nasty-looking bolts from 1984 out of the bottom of the shocks where they were packed with mud and debris for the last 37 years.

Then I need a press to push the pistons down enough to remove and install a lock ring that holds it all together inside the shock.

Feel like I am kinda in over my head here needing to buy an expensive press just to do the job. I could use them as-is. They do compress and rebound ok. The one needs a new dust seal and both need new boots.

Just wondering if I should even bother rebuilding them I think I can replace the dust seal without tearing anything else apart that is the last thing that goes on while assembling them. Just pondering my choices atm

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //