//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 225dx shuts off after 10 minutes

--

Question 225dx shuts off after 10 minutes

Hi All,

I bought this Trike earlier this year and love it. Have a weird issue where it runs ok for about 10 minutes of use but then if I slow down to lower gears for a turn then it will often shut off. After that it will not start for about half an hour and then same thing.
    It is pull start only.

There seems to be no cracks in the fuel line which is what I was told could cause this. But there is a hose at the bottom of the carb that just goes down and to nowhere, not sure what the point of it is, does anyone know? Perhaps that is the issue?
    The only other thing is the guy I bought it from had someone else test drive it and they supposedly broke the choke, so then he made a makeshift choke which he said seemed to work fine, but perhaps that is a problem.

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dan

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Test the stator. I had a Yamaha big wheel that would do the same. Runs great til it heats up then loses spark. Ended up being bad stator.

--
    The hose that goes nowhere on the bottom of your carb is a drain hose. There should only be gas coming out of it when you open the drain screw on the bottom of your float bowl. I'll agree with gimmeamidget and go even farther. Test your electrical components and then test them again after they're hot. That should let you know what is bad. Resistance goes up as things get hotter so don't be alarmed if everything shows more resistance when you do a hot test. You're looking for something that is a lot different, not just a little bit different.

--
    Sounds like electrical, but besides that you might want to try removing the fuel line at the carb and let it drain back into a gas can for 10 minutes to make sure the filter on the petcock isn’t getting plugged off with gunk over time.

About your choke, does that trike have a round pull knob, or a lever? Put up some photos if you can. You’ll want to get that fixed before winter.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Sounds like electrical, but besides that you might want to try removing the fuel line at the carb and let it drain back into a gas can for 10 minutes to make sure the filter on the petcock isn’t getting plugged off with gunk over time.

About your choke, does that trike have a round pull knob, or a lever? Put up some photos if you can. You’ll want to get that fixed before winter.
    It is a lever, not sure that it needs fixing, the guy who sold it seemed to know his machines, I just wondered if maybe it was getting too much gas in it over time with running.

--
    Along the lines of El Cam's thinking, try running it with the fuel cap loose to make sure the tank is venting correctly....I'm not saying it's not a bigger issue but do the small things first. And try a different plug too. Where in Onterrible are you?
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by danmoliver View Post
    It is a lever, not sure that it needs fixing, the guy who sold it seemed to know his machines, I just wondered if maybe it was getting too much gas in it over time with running.
    Put some pics up.

I’d remove the entire cable from the carb up and soak it in Diesel fuel or WD-40 to get it totally freed up. That lever breaks easily with any resistance, especially when cold. Always best to try and pinch and lift it to start rather than pry it up.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Just an update. The stator is testing ok. Problem seems to be compression. It only has 90 psi. Should be at least 130. So once it warms up that 90 then it even goes down and isn't enough to stay running.
    I've been trying to find rebuild kits which I guess is what I need at this point, or if not feel free to make any suggestions. If so then feel free to make a suggestion to where I can get a good deal on that.

Thanks.

--
    They don't sell rebuild kits for these. You have to buy the parts individually.

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by danmoliver View Post
    Just an update. The stator is testing ok. Problem seems to be compression. It only has 90 psi. Should be at least 130. So once it warms up that 90 then it even goes down and isn't enough to stay running.
    I've been trying to find rebuild kits which I guess is what I need at this point, or if not feel free to make any suggestions. If so then feel free to make a suggestion to where I can get a good deal on that.

Thanks.
    Before you spend a bunch of money on parts or sell the thing to the next guy that comes along, I would try a valve adjustment along with checking the cam chain tensioner. Not too familiar with the Yamaha trikes but I wouldn’t assume it is a lost case until you tried the things that don’t cost you anything but a little time. Could also be the CDI as when they get hot, if there is a problem, it usually shows up after a little run time. Check all your grounds, harness plugs, etc.
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Anytime I run into a machine that stalls I do the same thing. I ride it and as soon as it sputters or dies I reach down and shut the petcock off. Then I push it back, grab tools and drain the carb. If there is little to no fuel in the carb, you know that you have a fuel delivery problem. It could be a fuel filter, or internal fuel filter if applicable, the petcock or the tank may not be venting. If I have gas in the carb when it dies and I've ruled out the obvious, I then start by testing the coil, stator and CDI (if you can) and checking every single connection on the harness. Especially if you see peeling electrical tape, then you know someone has been in the harness or it's unraveling and water may be getting in. And sometimes the pins don't hold inside the male or female connectors, they push back when they are plugged in together. You have to check the back side of the plug to check on that...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //