//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Honda ATC 200 won’t start

--

Honda ATC 200 won’t start

Hello all first post and hopefully I’ve come to the right place.

The trike is a Honda ATC 200 ES, I bought as a project with all sorts of parts missing but I wanted something to restore and hopefully it’s not to far gone,

Anyway I can get it to start if I put a wire directly to the starter wire, but otherwise there is absolutely nothing, no dash lights or anything at all.

So it’s obviously nothing to do with the basics it’s more likely something to do with the wiring or the solenoid? Is there a way of testing these?

--
    I think that there should be a main fuse close to the battery. Check to see if that is bad.

--
    Hi

Yes the fuse is fine.

--
    Clean ALL the grounds. Check ignition switch for power. Check the push button for power. Then check for power at the solenoid.

--
    It could be the neutral safety switch. Here is a thread that talks about it.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-Switch-faulty

--
    I’ve ended up taking off the loom as there was just a clicking from the starter solinoid when I pressed the starter button, I bought a new one and still the same.

When I put a multi metre on a few wires they was completely sporadic, like there is a bad earth somewhere, even when disconnecting from all accessories (cdi, relays etc) there is still a bad earth so I’m going to go through the loom.

The starter is earthing on the frame which I’m guessing it should do?

--
    yes harness grounds to the frame. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    I’ve ended up taking off the loom as there was just a clicking from the starter solinoid when I pressed the starter button, I bought a new one and still the same.

When I put a multi metre on a few wires they was completely sporadic, like there is a bad earth somewhere, even when disconnecting from all accessories (cdi, relays etc) there is still a bad earth so I’m going to go through the loom.

I have changed and cleaned all the corrosion and refitted however it is still the same just a clicking? If I bridge the starter solenoid it starts fine.

--
    did you unplug the starter switch and hot wire it there? could be a bad switch. jim
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

--
    Hi Jim

Yeah tried that too, there is just a clicking from the solenoid still, the only way I can get it to start is by putting the solenoid directly to the battery.

--
    how about where the neg battery cable bolts to the motor or frame? sounds like a bad ground.
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I've had one do that. I took the starter switch apart and sprayed it generously with contact cleaner and it eventually worked. But no two are the same?

--
    I have got it to start finally although it pops and bangs like an ak47 (hole in exhaust) it was the secondary fuse, someone had cut the wiring back and removed the fuse altogether, they had adapted the loom as a fix instead of just changing the fuse, I have now rewired it and it starts on the button now!

I bought it as a project, none runner either a snapped rear axle and a lot of parts missing! I’m in the UK and can’t seem to find many parts, if anyone can help me out please let me know.

Thanks

--
    I have got it to start finally although it pops and bangs like an ak47 (hole in exhaust) it was the secondary fuse, someone had cut the wiring back and removed the fuse altogether, they had adapted the loom as a fix instead of just changing the fuse, I have now rewired it and it starts on the button now!

I bought it as a project, none runner either a snapped rear axle and a lot of parts missing! I’m in the UK and can’t seem to find many parts, if anyone can help me out please let me know.

Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //